2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 8:11 AM by ambrose

Australian police warn of ransomware USB drives showing up in mailboxes

kingfish

According to police in the Australian city of Pakenham, 37 miles from Melbourne, multiple residents have reported strange USB drives appearing in their mailboxes. There are no stamps or addresses — they’re just envelopes someone dropped off by hand. The USBdrives themselves are unmarked, but the software present on it is cleverly disguised.

Upon plugging in the drive, users see what appears at first to be a promotional offer from Netflix or another streaming service. And of course, who doesn’t like free stuff? Some more trusting members of the public went ahead with the installation, which didn’t provide any free entertainment at all. Instead, the computers were infected with ransomware. The police say that two or three people are known to have been infected in this way. Although, it’s possible that some people simply didn’t report their gullibility to the authorities.

Encoder-640x293.png

Australian police warn of ransomware USB drives showing up in mailboxes | ExtremeTech

• Re: Australian police warn of ransomware USB drives showing up in mailboxes
          black_zion

Something which gets me about ransomware is how easy it is to defeat, yet people and corporations pay thousands upon thousands to these people when they become infected. It's very easy to backup your files either online, to a NAS, or even to another drive on the same computer using Windows Backup, OneDrive, a third party backup such as SyncBack or Microsoft's own SyncToy, as well as automated drive backup software such as the software which comes with all external hard drives, Acronis, or, what I prefer, Macrium Reflect (as it is Acronis but it's free and even more powerful).

• Re: Australian police warn of ransomware USB drives showing up in mailboxes
            ambrose

Hi Guys,

Respectfully, I can't believe that people would even insert an unmarked device in their computer(s), especially a device that is delivered in such a way.

< Small Giggle Here >  I watch a program once in a blue moon about Border security, and see what a hard time people trying to enter Australia have, I hope the Local law there is as Vigilant in trying to catch the person(s) responsible for this.

In a closing note though, sometimes people deserve the problems they experience on their computers, The best security you can use is, first and foremost, ones own Brain and Logic, always take an active roll in the security and up keep of your computer and system environment don't rely on applications to do things automatically for the small inconvenience of a pop up windows asking what you would like to do next. Knowledge is power, educate yourself on what security and back up software is really doing for you. Smart security starts with the user.

Cheers Guys, Ambrose