7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 10:52 AM by leofbrj

bsod after W10 september update

leofbrj

Hi guys!

I own a Dell Inspiron 15R SE, with a AMD Radeon HD 7730m gpu. Always keeped updated, installed W10 Anniversay when it was released, never had a single problem with the gpu in years.

A couple of weeks ago, after installing a routine Windows update, I started having bsods while doing different activities (from simply browsing to playing War Thunder). I then checked for new AMD driver updates, and while installing the Crimson 16.9.1 as the process reached 2% I got a BSOD.

From that moment, I cannot install any AMD driver (also tried older versions, but no one worked) without having a bsod during the installation process. I get a THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error, then the pc restarts, and before the windows login i get another bsod with random errors (bad pool header, critical process died, also a dxgmms1.sys error). I have to disable the gpu in safe mode, then Windows loads normally.

I have to keep the VGA disabled, or I get a BSOD.

What I tried, without success:

-tried to install every W10 and drivers update. BIOS is up to date, too.

-tried a SFC /SCANNOW and CHKDSK, even in safe mode

-tried older AMD driver versions

-no firewall and antivirus (don't even have it)

-tried to reinstall W10 (I downloaded the last build ISO a few days ago)

I'm quite sure it must has to do with the Windows updates i installed the first weeks of september, I didn't try a older build of W10 cause I'm still looking for the image.

Thanks for any help.