4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 3:21 AM by pinheads

Uninstall problems with 16.9.1 and 16.9.2 under Windows 10 64bit - R9 390

patricklibuda

Unfortunately, there is a massive installation / un-installation problem with the two September 2016 driver versions (Windows 10 64bit – 16.9.1 and 16.9.2). If you uninstall any of the two it is no longer possible to revert to any other driver version – neither the display driver nor the sound drivers are installed henceforth. All you can do is grab your Win10 installation DVD (if you were clever enough to make one ;-)), select the repair options, and go back to an earlier Windows 10 snapshot – then you can uninstall the driver version that Win10 installs by default and select the one you want.

Unfortunately, as far as driver quality is concerned, things have gone downhill again after 16.8.2 (release candidate 4, 11 August 2016). Particularly as far as Internet video stuff is concerned, this version so far has been the only one to come anywhere near 15.11 (the version that comes with Win10) – all versions inbetween and afterwards would cause all sorts of problems – e.g. repeated driver resets or the screen going black suddenly during playback (try longer Youtube videos and you will probably see what I am referring to – e.g. 30 minutes or longer – minimising and maximising during playback also is not a good idea, particularly with the driver versions prior to 16.8.2). I had even thought about going back to the last Catalyst version because I was and am so unhappy with the Crimson releases.

Another thing I find puzzling is that, unlike in Windows 7 or 8/8.1, the standard Windows display driver does not appear to be working with my R9 390. Normally when switching to a new graphics driver version, I would uninstall the old Crimson version, reboot, and then re-install the new version. However, with Win10, when I reboot after uninstalling the AMD graphics driver, all I get on the screen is gobbledegook. The only way out is to revert back to a previous snapshot (see above – ever since I switched to Win10 in July I must have done this at least 20 times!). Then I uninstall the 15.11 driver that Win10 installs by default (or rather AMD Settings) and then install the new driver version directly afterwards – without rebooting! So, this is another issue where I would be grateful if the AMD driver development team could be so kind as to look into it.

• Re: Uninstall problems with 16.9.1 and 16.9.2 under Windows 10 64bit - R9 390
          patricklibuda

P. S.: I do appreciate the progress made since 15.11.1 (last Catalyst version) on the gaming front ;-). However, as far as the video side of things is concerned there still is a lot of room for improvement. For a start, it would be nice if the option of selecting either 0-255 or 16-235 could be selected under the video options in Crimson - just like in Catalyst. As far as video stuff is concerned, Catalyst still wipes the floor with Crimson.

patricklibuda

P.P.S.: Just to illustrate the problem. In the three months that I used Catalyst 15.11.1 (the last version), I had exactly one video driver reset - the day before I had to uninstall it because it had conked out. It was then that I decided to switch to Crimson and so far I have been and still am a bit less than impressed. For a start, video driver resets galore, even while doing simple stuff like typing emails in my browser (things appear to have got a bit better since switching from Win8.1 to Win10 but alas there still is a lot of room for improvement).

patricklibuda

P.P.P.S.: Have since endeavoured to try out uninstalling version 16.8.2 via uninstall plus DDU and I was really positively surprised. Suddenly Windows 10 was able to reboot flawlessly with the Windows basic graphics driver, which means that the problem clearly lies with AMD instead of Microsoft. (Afterwards 16.8.2 got reinstalled.) I find it rather astonishing that after nearly one year of the Crimson stuff, AMD apparently still has not managed to cough up uninstalling stuff that actually also works properly with Windows 10 (and not only with Windows 8.1) and instead requires the efforts of a third-party programmer to have the job done properly. It is quite an embarrassment that apparent AMD people active in this forum actually have to recommend the use of DDU!