4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 9:27 PM by hardcoregames™

Dual Fan GPU Coolers

hardcoregames™

Both of my video cards have dual fan coolers. I like that the cards run cool, less likely to have failures that way. Both of my cards have lasted much longer than single fan cards which means fewer RMA headaches for me and the vendors.

I have not been very happy with Asus etc over the lack of HDCP with HDMI which is part of the standard. Makes it useless for watching Blu-Ray movies. Netflix is way too fuzzy for my tastes. BD has way more bandwidth. Now we have HDCP 2.2 and it is compulsory for video.

With the experience I have with dual fan cards, perhaps AMD should adopt them for their reference prototypes as well.

• Re: Dual Fan GPU Coolers
          catchabreak

blower style fans are used so the Graphics cards can be used in very small cases with little cooling. All the hot air is expelled outside the case, NVidia does the same thing. And a little some thing the $1200 NVidia flagship reference card has problems with this cooling and according to some websites should have had water or a better cooling solution.

• Re: Dual Fan GPU Coolers
            dra6o0n

You should look up undervolting GPU to get a stable but lower temp and power consumption of your GPU, generally look up on google if people found a stable value to stay at.

For instance the RX 470s by default may at most use 1.060v @1255mhz.

You can try tweaking the voltage down by -0.010 to 1.050v and such to see if your clocks remain stable with your games, and you can reduce temp of your gpu quite a bit.

I believe that on stock voltage, that same card can achieve about 1340mhz @ 1.06v, but this keeps your gpu at around 70 degrees Celcius or above.

If you don't mind using stock clocks you can undervolt the gpu and reduce temp and power drain.

EDIT: While dual fan gpu coolers help a lot, not everyone overclocks their GPUs with this, so the undervolting method can be helpful..

EDIT2: AMD reference cards are single fans for the reason of costs, if they integrated dual fan GPUs they'd have to make the price a bit higher, and the aftermarket gpu won't technically be that much cheaper.