12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 6:41 AM by thisismoun

RX 470 no post

thisismoun

Hi there, I recently got an ASUS STRIX RX 470 and I installed it onto the motherboard. I proceeded to turn it on and while all the lights light up and the fan spins, I have no post beep sound nor do I have the display showing up.

I tried to disable the onboard graphics but I still had the same issue. Eventually I had to reset my bios because I after disconnecting the RX 470, I was getting the GPU boot beep error. And now it's working fine again. But I don't know why the RX 470 refuses to work.

My specs are as follows-

CPU - i5 2400

Mobo - Gigabyte H61M-S2P-GQ (This iteration of the motherboard doesn't show up anywhere on the internet for some reason)

RAM - 2 x 4gb HyperX 1333 MHz

PUS - Enermax NAXN 500w

The PC boots and works just fine as long as the GPU isn't connected. So I'm not sure what I can do to fix this. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

• Re: RX 470 no post
          goodplay

Does the mobo bios have an option to set graphics card to run in "uefi" mode (if not it will not work). Many older mobo's may not have this option, and the new cards are uefi only(I believe).

thisismoun

I went through the BIOS and wasn't able to find any option that let me set the graphics card to run in UEFI mode (Although there was an option between Legacy and EFI in PCI Rom, not sure if that's related). So thanks for your help.
              Follow up question, since I can't really do a cpu + motherboard upgrade right now, do you think the ASRock H61M-VG4 would work with the card?

Again, thanks so much for replying, I've been going crazy because I didn't know this could be an issue.

catchabreak

a bios update may help.

thisismoun

Yeah I read that as a possible fix, but the issue is I can't find my iteration of the motherboard online anywhere. GA-H61M-S2P-GQ is nowhere to be found and I don't want to flash my bios with something that MIGHT be the same but sold with a different name because I don't want to brick it.

catchabreak

did you buy the motherboard and have you got the disk and manual or was bought as a complete pc and does it have any logo`s on the case same for the motherboard. is it a full atx or other form factor pc

thisismoun

I got it in a pre-built, I bought it from a rather obscure company so I never got any disk or manual, and there's no logo that was the same as the case on the motherboard. It was a full PC but I replaced the ram  and the PSU along with a few other things. It's an mATX motherboard and I'm certain it's the GQ because it's written across the board. I tried going through all of the H61M-S2P motherboards on the Gigabyte website and try to visually match the motherboard in terms of the location of the SATA ports or a couple of transistors but to no avail. I think I might just have to buy another motherboard but I'm now afraid of running into this issue, plus finding an LGA 1155 is pretty hard.

thisismoun

Update!
                        I got it to work. BIOS upgrade was definitely the answer. But it takes a few more steps. After spending the morning troubleshooting, here's the steps (In case anyone runs into this error)
                        1. Update BIOS to latest
                        2. Set primary Video output to PCIE (Mine was on auto, I had to manually select PCIE)
                        3. Disable integrated graphics

And then it should work!

Thanks a lot you guys that responded, team effort!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        thisismoun

I've currently placed the BIOS update answer as the correct answer, but it's not 100% certain as of writing this.