6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 6:28 PM by stevenleonon

Locked at 30FPS on Stardew Valley, RX 480

stevenleonon

Hi all, I just recently built a PC with a Sapphire RX 480 and I'm loving it! I can play games like Fallout 4, Borderlands 2, and GTA V at high-ultra settings and still get 60fps, which is amazing. On my old, cheap laptop I played Stardew Valley, and decided to bring my save over to my new PC. When I launched it and started up my save file, I noticed the framerate was much lower than usual, and when I checked it stayed at a constant 30fps. There were no other programs up in the background. I played around with the resolution, and while most things didn't help, switching to 1600x900 or 2550x1440 shot my FPS back up over 60. I would play with those resolutions, but unfortunately the UI is mostly off screen for both of those resolutions, so if I want to play it will need to run smoothly in my native resolution (1920x1080).

While I'm unsure what is causing this, some people have suggested that my PC may be using integrated graphics instead of the RX 480, but if that is the case I have to idea how to force my PC to make the switch. Any help is greatly appreciated! Here is a link to my PC build.

• Re: Locked at 30FPS on Stardew Valley, RX 480
          catchabreak

need to go into bios and set graphics from internal to pci-e. you should be able to disable the internal graphics within bios.

abi

I think the 30fps are normal and set by the game engine itself. On my pc does exactly the same on stardew and undertale

stevenleonon

Nope, definitely false. I get 60fps on other resolutions than my native one, but since the UI is offscreen it makes it incredibly difficult to play. If it was 30fps tops I'm pretty sure ConcernedApe would get a lot of complaints.

abi

Im telling you how the game runs in my system, and its definitely true for me and for other people too. If you perform a search on steam fóruns there are other people complaining the same including nvidia users.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                        stevenleonon

Right, yes, I'm sure yourself and others have similar problems. I've no doubt that for a lot of people, the game runs at 30fps. It even happens for me when I play the game in a 1920x1080 resolution.

That said, when my resolution is set to 1600x900 or 2550x1440, I get anywhere from 60-80fps, which is greater than 30fps, thus obviously the game can run at higher frame/sec than 30, but something is causing it not to. The problem is, in 1920x1080, it does not run at 60-80fps, but caps at 30, unlike 1600x900 or 2550x1440. I could technically play the game in either of those and play at 60fps, but some things will be off the edge of my screen such as the hotbar, energy bar, and part of the clock. Thus, I need to play in 1920x1080, but for some reason it won't play at >60fps like some other resolutions. That's what I'm asking for a solution to.

I suppose it's possible the game engine could limit it to 30fps, but why does it allow you to run the game at >60fps in other, specific resolutions? Thus, I would think something is wrong with either my computer (or maybe the game) that won't allow the game to run faster than 30fps in 1920x1080.