3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 8:17 PM by kingfish

RX 480 detected but not working; no access to AMD settings, "Please try again after connecting a display to AMD graphics..."

caseytoney

Hi everybody,

I'm helping my roommate build a PC and we've run into an unsurpassable roadblock in the final mile. I have searched for information on this problem extensively and executed most of the supposed solutions but nothing has worked. The card is clearly not working even though it is detected. It seems to prefer the Intel HD Graphics, and if we disable those, the basic Microsoft graphics engine (I forget the exact name).

One common indicator is whenever we try to access the AMD Settings by right clicking on the desktop and selecting it, we are met with this message:

"Radeon Settings are currently not available. Please try again after connecting a display to AMD graphics and extending the display."

We have an RX 480 (full system specs below) that we have installed and uninstalled drivers of various versions and sources (old drivers, new drivers; on disk, online), we have installed drivers for the monitor (it only lets us install them to Intel HD Graphics), we have performed multiple clean driver installations, including first uninstalling via the AMD uninstaller, then using DDU in safe mode, disabling the Windows Firewall, and reinstalling the drivers via the disk. All dead ends. Very, very frustrating dead ends.

We have exhausted all possible options that we can think of (including some pretty dumb ones--just to check). I see that this problem is common with multiple monitor situations, but we only have one, connected by HDMI. We are also having an issue where there seems to be a double installation of Windows 10 and we have to choose one whenever we boot from the SSD: regular or Volume 4. I don't think that's related at all but I want to cover every possible detail.

Can anyone please help?

Casey

SPECS:

Desktop

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-K

Monitor: LG 27MP38VQ

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Memory: 16GB DDR4 RAM

CPU: Intel i7-6700K

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB DDR5 Black Edition

Crimson Edition 16.8.2 Hotfix (currently but have tried so many different versions)