5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 11:37 AM by ikhidzr

Blue screen and hard shutdown

ikhidzr

Hi,

I am having an unfortunate problem suddenly. I am not sure if its the driver or hardware (GPU or PSU?).

i5-4590

8GB DDR3 Ram

Asus H81M-K

FSP Hexa 550w

XFX RX 480 8GB reference, Radeon 16.9.1

Windows 10 14393.187

Anyway, it first started while I was playing Football Manager 2015. I realized the fans for the GPU were inconsistent, fluctuating from 2600rpm to 3100rpm, at times randomly going to 4000rpm (very loud for a second) and goes back down to 2600rpm. Suddenly, the fans just stopped rising up and down and stayed at a constant 1200rpm. Temps were gradually going from 50c to 73c--weird for Football Manager with mostly 2D graphics (i've set everything 3D to 2D). Even GTA V at high settings reach 65c on this card. I alt+tab to open Trixx and at this moment blue screen happened.

It rebooted and I stopped playing. Just now, just to test it again, I booted up and played Football Manager 2015. Again, fluctuating fans. This time though, the fans don't give up to 1200rpm. During this time playing, I've had Spotify in the background playing music, so I've alt+tab quite a few times to skip music, etc. But suddenly when I'm scrolling to select music it just went black. All of a sudden the PC shuts itself down, like a hard shutdown. Like someone pulled the power cable. No shutting down screen. I rebooted and all was fine but honestly, I'm paranoid now.

What could be the issue here? Driver? Football Manager? PSU? Gpu?

I've googled and it says it could be to PSU, overheating, etc. My temps for CPU at the time was 45c, GPU was 51c. CPU always reaches around 45-47c max idle even for different games. GPU could reach up to 80c but i've set a fan curve to 65c. PSU has no burning smell or extremely hot whatsoever.

I've checked event viewer and critical lists Event 41 Kernel-Power, but the thing is it didn't reboot.

I am looking for inputs. Thank you.

TL;DR: PC shuts itself down claiming event 41 after blue screen the previous day playing the same game, not sure software or hardware

• Re: Blue screen and hard shutdown
          ikhidzr

Update:

It would seem Event 41 Kernel-Power is not the shutdown issue, rather the BSOD. The shutdown was not logged in event viewer!

There's also 9 more same Event 41 going all the way back to September, but I've never experienced it, which is weird.

And I've just ran Unigine Heaven on Ultra for 2 hours, and stress tested with 3Dmark Time Spy, and there was no problems at all! But I'm positive if I were to play Football Manager 2015 it would go haywire again! Is this a game related issue or what?

Or could it be just a random power surge/brown out?

Thanks

warpfact0r10
                  ikhidzr

Isn't the rule of thumb is not to update BIOS unless necessary? Mine is version 1103.

The game is running the latest patch. I have disabled GPU assisted rendering at the time and the fans were still fluctuating. The game is mostly 2D graphics, only very basic PlayStation 2 style of 3D graphics being used during matches.

I have deleted and will try reinstalling later as it would seem there are still other problems, even with the compatibility setting on.

I turned it on and used 3D Mark Time Spy to benchmark/stress test, and then Unigine Heaven 4.0 loop for a good 2 hour. Nothing happens and scores was good.

I then tested gaming, playing XCOM 2. After 30 minutes, there was a loading screen and suddenly the fans went dead silent again, as happened during the first BSOD. Started to lag at main menu, I alt+tab to see a horrifying 91c, never have I reached that high. Fans crashed? Anyway, there was no BSOD. PC immediately turns off display (monitor says "No Video Input"), and I can see USB connected mouse and keyboard lights are turned off. PC however was still running, and the GPU fan went extremely loud at this point. Waited for 5 minutes and nothing happens so I proceeded to shut it down (hold power button). Rebooted fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

warpfact0r10

Any BIOS update that "improves system stability" I would deem necessary.
                      Your initial description of the problem made it appear that it was very specific to Football Manager 2015. Now that you've detailed other symptoms it might be worth a clean driver installation:

• Disable any overclocking you might have performed, and remove any potentially conflicting overclocking programs like MSI Afterburner.
                      • Disable any antivirus/firewall software you have installed.
                      • Disable as many programs at Windows startup as possible.
                      • Make certain your Windows power profile is set to "High Performance."
                      • Firstly, make certain Windows 10 automatic driver updates are disabled. How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10
                      • Second, perform a clean installation using the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility.  Uninstall your drivers as normal via the Control Panel, then before you reboot, run the utility.
                      • Finally, reboot and install the driver.
                      1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          ikhidzr

I will update my BIOS then, but after trying my attempt here with DDU first. Is there any advantage of using AMD's uninstall utility compared to DDU?

I never under/overclock the GPU, even voltage. Radeon settings is as is, even with Trixx (uninstalled). Only fan curve was changed with Trixx because fans refuses to follow Radeon 16.9.1 settings, it used to at 16.8.3, hence me trying out Trixx.

Anyway, I've now just rebooted after using Safe Mode to use DDU and also uninstalling Trixx. Windows power profile is already set at High Performance. I will disable automatic driver updates. Right now, only these are set in WattMan. Is it weird or normal that I've set the fans to be a minimum of 3300 but it only stays at 2500? I wanted the min to be 2100 but it goes to 1200-1300 and the idle temps goes as high as 55 and yet fans don't kick up.

I will test this first, if it still crashes then I'd use AMD's utility and redo everything and update here.

Thanks.