6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 11:52 AM by aterlakas

Sapphire Nitro+ rx480 throttling and weird temps

aterlakas

Hi i have nitro+ rx480 8gb and i am using the latest crimson drivers my problem is that my gpu after a few minutes with full load reaches 76-77c and then starts downclock.I tried power limit also to +50 but still the same thing. My card barely works on boost clock

I also tried temperature control on wattman but doesnt seem to do nothing.

My ambient temp is 28-29c and my system is

i5 6600k

8gb ddr4 3000 trident z

coolermaster V750m gold psu

Asus Maximus Viii Hero

phanteks p400

AOC G2460V freesync monitor

Thanks in advance for any help

edit.Not to mention that my gpu reaches 76-77c on a very aggressive fan profile through msi aftreburner if i leave amd default profile temps reach 80-82c

• Re: Sapphire Nitro+ rx480 throttling and weird temps
          catchabreak

I noticed the rx 480 is good for up to 83c then starts throttling from 84c upwards. If it gets to 90c the fan will either blow at full speed or the card will stop working. The Wattman works by slowly increasing fan speed from minimum to maximum, then finds a work point between them if it can. This works great for games that don't use the card full potential but is caught out when you want instant full power.  set speed to manual then set both the fan speeds to around 60%. The first slider will work instantly once you select apply and is the minimum the fans will run. I use the rpm meter at the side of them to set the first slider as for some reason the scale is off for that 1 on my card. Then once the temperature stabilises you can back off or increase fan speeds depending on the temperatures you are looking for. The first setting is for the minimum and the second 1 next to it is the maximum fan speed. I set the temps max at 88c and target at 78c but my card is reference and trying to  lower temps just ramps up the fan.

aterlakas

I even tried full speed profile with Trixx software but when gpu hit 77c boost clock starts to drop no matter what temperature target i have.My problem is not with temperatures because for an amd gpu seems normal my real problem is that gpu cant maintain boost clock and 77c for temp throttle seems very low and weird

mbk1989

Hey! I think that when under full load (%100 gpu usage) card cannot draw enough power to maintain its boost clock because it has already reached max power limit which is 150 watt by default. But if you set power limit to 20% or 50% it should stay at boost clock. It is not thermal throttling it is power throttling. And I am facing this too. But I prefer using my card at stock settings.

catchabreak

can you load up gpu-z and confirm temps fan speed  VDDC and +50% on power while running Unigine Heaven Benchmark. Run the benchmark in windowed mode and set gpu-z to always be on top. VDDC should be between 1.125-1.13. Power set at zero on my card drops clock from 1328 right down to around about 1060. want to know if your getting a difference with 0  and +50% power.

aterlakas

I replaced the card with asus strix rx480 and i have no prob since then.I was really disappointed with sapphire's aftermarket support they gave me almost no support except some generic tips My brand new asus really rocks and stays really cool (65c max)