1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 22, 2016 12:56 PM by lewisgdljr@gmail.com

Speed Boost The Code of All AMD Drivers

calvinvalerian

When it comes to the source code what we want is a readable functioning program.

But readability is no longer a priority when it comes to gaming.

I want to introduce my method to push the speed of graphics driver a little bit further.

Here's how:

Duplicate AMD driver source code to a new location.

Create a new program that replaces every variable in all duplicated source to a consecutive alphabetical order.

Therefore no modification is made in the original source code and that's where you're going to compile the program.

I recommend to first capitalize all variables (e.g: "varName" to "VARNAME") so that it is easier to match this pattern.

I only code in bash script and I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey so here's my sample code:

# BEFORE SIMPLIFICATION PROCESS

#!/bin/bash

FIRSTNAME=Steve

LASTNAME=Jobs

for X in $FIRSTNAME $LASTNAME" do

echo $X

done

# WHAT TO DO

We're going to replace a total of 3 variables to alphabet consecutively starting from "a": a b c.

FIRSTNAME > a

LASTNAME > b

X > c

# AFTER SIMPLIFICATION PROCESS

#!/bin/bash

a=Steve

b=Jobs

for c in $a $b; do

echo $c

done

The reason I prefer alphabet more than digit is because alphabet comprise of 26 characters before it adds new character length whereas digit is only 10, hence more efficient than digits.

When a - z is used up, increase the character length to "aa", "aaa" and so on so forth.

• Re: Speed Boost The Code of All AMD Drivers
          lewisgdljr@gmail.com

This suggestion doesn't even make sense. The drivers are compiled into binary code; those variable names won't even be present in the resulting software, except possibly in the debugging information if the driver wasn't stripped. Making the variable name changes you suggest won't result in even a one-byte difference in the resulting program, except as mentioned, in the debugging information, which isn't used during normal execution (unless they're doing something exotic like using it for a homemade reflection layer, which I doubt they'd do in performance-critical code like a driver). You'd make more of a performance difference by stripping features out of the driver, albeit with the obvious costs.