28 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 9:45 AM by boobtube

Frequent random reboots when display driver is enabled

kurupted

rBought a new computer from CyberPower with a Radeon RX 480. Used the computer for a few days without problems, then realized I hadn't installed graphics drivers yet (none came pre-installed). After downloading and installing them, my computer began randomly rebooting all the time. First I noticed it was when my computer would go to sleep, when I would wake it up it would have rebooted at some point. After disabling Sleep, and researching like crazy, thinking it might be my PSU, it only got worse. It would reboot, and then sometimes even reboot again before I could even log back into Windows.

Pretty sure it's the driver at this point. I can't find any pattern to it though -- I installed a couple of gpu testing apps (Furmark and Unigine) and they wouldn't initiate a crash. It would be just random while I'm looking through files in Explorer, or doing nothing. After disabling the driver, it still happened a couple of times, but then I used Display Driver Uninstaller and it seems to be ok now (crossing my fingers). But I'd really like to make sure of my gpu obviously. Any suggestions?

I never see any error message, nor a BSD, even after turning off the Windows option to not just reboot upon failure. I have various errors in my Reliability Monitor:

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffff800f882dd010

Parameter 2: fffff809fd6fed70

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 4

OS version: 10_0_14393

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

Lots and lots of these, all code 141

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

Code: 116

Parameter 1: ffffa18b6f4414a0

Parameter 2: fffff807d8aced70

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: d

OS version: 10_0_14393

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

One of these for each shutdown

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffff800f8fa454a0, 0xfffff809fd6fed70, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000d). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 6f1f3ecb-1fe6-49c2-a2ba-abbc1ce08dd0.

One of these for each shutdown

Capture.PNG

• Re: Frequent random reboots when display driver is enabled
          kurupted

I've seen some new threads from other people experiencing reboots, and I should add that unlike them I didn't see high temperatures when I ran a benchmarking app. Temp stayed steady nd it didn't even crash during the benchmark. It crashes very randomly, sometimes as soon as I turn the PC on.

Just now tried an older driver version, 16.7.3, and this time it gave me the black screen freezing issue that others report. It didn't reboot, it just went black and wouldn't respond. There's this new system event that I didn't get with the newest driver version:

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

amdmatt

What PSU are you using?

Please try the troubleshooting steps listed below to see if they resolve your 'Frequent random reboots when display driver is enabled'.

If the same issue persists after trying the above, please respond with the following information.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

kurupted

Hi,

I tried all of the troubleshooting steps previously.

AMD Graphics Card

• Make and model; AMD RX 480
                • Desktop or Laptop System: Cyberpower
                • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit (Anniversary Edition)
                • Driver version installed: tried both 16.9.1 and 16.7.3 of Crimson
                • Display Devices
                  • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate; e.g. Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI
                  • Dell U2312HM (Digital - DVI), running 1920x1080 at 64 Hertz (at least this is what it shows right now, without AMD driver; I can check if it's the same with the AMD a bit later today. I also have a second monitor I could try.)
                • Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170
                • CPU/APU: Intel(R) Core Processor i7-6700 3.40GHZ
                • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage: 650 Watts - Corsair CSM Series CS650M 80 Plus Gold
                • RAM: 16GB

btw, with more time having passed now I can say for sure that not using an AMD driver does resolve the crashing issue

lysergic

Ok boys here's the MOTHER LOAD!!!!!!!! I'm sorry for my french but you ready for this ???? I extremely regret buying an rx480 let alone two of them..... Next time its nVidia all the way hands down.

I had purchased two XFX Black OC rx480's the day they were released. Since then it has been nothing short of a nightmare born into reality. It has been littered with faulty driver installations, driver crashes, kernel 41 power loss random restarts, flickering in games, and games straight up breaking on certain driver versions, and black screens. Sometimes it works for a month and then just starts restarting every 30 seconds. I have been on AMD forums, XFX forums, rx480 forums. XFX has insisted it was a power/psu issue. I thought they were right when i had finally got the system running for a month with my spare PSU which i had already tried and ripped out put back in several times, and then bam a week ago it started again.

It all started off with me blaming the PSU (850 watt thermaltake bronze). I put my spare zephyre 750 in with no luck still restarting. I then upgraded to windows 10 with no luck still restarting. I then started to blame the cheap Asrock motherboard i bought thinking it just couldn't deliver the power. I replaced it with an Asus z170 sli plus, with no success (still restarting). Since i decided it wasnt the PSU the thermaltake went back into my system because its better. After a while of restarting and bad performance i got XFX on the horn, They insisted it was a PSU issue, so i threw the zephyre back in and it worked for about a month *hoooreyyy* right???? NOPE bam 1 week ago it starts up again. I run out to best buy immediately and get a corsair 850 gold PSU AND a uninterruptible UPS with battery backup just in case my surge protector was going..... 20 minutes after the psu and ups install BAM restart...... Luckily I'm an IT professional and I currently have an engineering PC build going which i decided to build around the GTX1060. (basically the same specs as my pc except the ram was corsair opposed to kingston hyperx and the cpu is a 66k opposed to a 65k. So i ripped out and swapped my CPU + ram with the build here at work. So that means i have replaced the motherboard, the PSU 3 times, the surge protector, the ram, the chip. I have replaced everything except the SSD and rx480's (my old gtx660 works fine in this system by the way) So far i have not had a restart with the new CPU and RAM in but like i said this system just went a month without a problem and then out of nowhere the problem will resurface. I booted my PC this morning before work like always because i team viewer into it. I tried and it says teamviewer is not running. So my PC either crashed and did not restart or teamviewer malfunctioned. Cant wait to see this when i get home . Have been troubleshooting this problem for months. Its a game now . It's a shame because my boss bought me the cards as a gift. If i would have known i would have had him just get me a new gtx1080 and i bet ide be running fine thats for sure...... MY NIGHTMARE!!!!! Ill keep you guys posted... If it restarts ill post it on here ASAP and then im getting on the horn with AMD i want new cards or a refund. This is crazy

On the good side of things the past two driver updates broke overwatch for me with xfire configuration.... I reverted 3 driver versions and it works!!! haha what garbage.

My pc specs right now are:

Intel i5 6600k

16gb corsair vengence

850w thermaltake bronze

asus z170 sli plus

180gb SSD

windows 10

middy

i understand your frustration but it sounds like a faulty card from xfx. you be best to be requesting a rma. tell them you tried everything from switching out parts with others and that other cards work fine in the system.

lysergic

We shall see. It has not yet restarted with a kernel 41 since i replaced RAM and CPU. But i feel that it is coming soon. I have had an open ticket with XFX since this problem raised which has been since i bought it. Hopefully their RMA customer service is decent, being able to prove reporting this problem and trying everything else i hope they give me new cards if this build restarts on me.

On the driver side of things 16.8.3, 16.9.1, 16.9.2 drivers have broken Overwatch for me. This most recent one is a bit better but still freezing mid game. FPS - 0 for 30 seconds. the cards recover but out of sync it seems very slow and unplayable. Switching from full screen which enables crossfire to windowed fixes it. Just lost because of it

RX480 Black OC xfx 8gb crossfire

xfxsupport

To me its still very clear that this is a power issue.  The fact that switching power supplies fixed the problem for 30 days only further supports that.

Its a very weird case for many reasons and i wont rule out the video cards, but i would consider many other factors.

1.  Overwatch is a surpriningly GPU intensive game, putting the entire pc under a heavy sustained load.

2.  Overwatch has had known driver issues at launch which have since been amended on both AMD and Blizzards ends.  Some issues may still persist.

3.  Xfire is more likely to have issues than stand-alone GPU solutions.

When you run only 1 card, does the problem persist? does it follow both cards or only 1?

What other games have this issue? Can it be replicated in Valley/heaven benchmarks?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        k3ungy

Hey kurupted,

I've been having the exact same issue since i got my MSI RX 480 Gaming X, but it seems (At least for now) that i fixed it.

My PC started having random freezes that would turn into black screens and then the PC would reboot itself. I got my RX 480 out of my pc and started using the IGP again. Turns out i was still having the same problem... I have a stock i5-4690K and a 660 Platinum power supply, so power issues are covered, and none of my components were faulty before my graphics card was introduced.. so it was clearly my OS. I went into the update menu and it was saying that is had the latest update. I went onto microsoft's website and it was written :

Update now

We noticed you are running Windows 10. If you are looking to update to the latest version, click Update now.

I clicked on the button right below and downloaded their update tool, and turns out my windows 10 was not up to date.
                        After that i plugged back in my graphics card, and ran DOOM at max for an hour to test it out, then used windows normally (it was usually there that it would crash) and... Well so far so good ! Seems to work ! Hope you guys will manage to fix it like i did !

Here's the link to download the windows 10 update tool: Windows 10

Good luck !

My config (for info):

CPU: i5-4690K

GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8g

MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
                        PSU: Seasonic 660W Platinum
                        RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x4go @2133Mhz

kurupted

Well I'm still having crashing. Of the "screen goes black and you have to manually kill the power" variety. The new driver version did help, crashes are less frequent, and it did change things from a sudden reboot to the black screen freeze, but I still can't use my AMD display driver. What's odd now is that when it blacks out, and I manually reboot the computer, there's basically nothing in the event viewer about it. See screenshot. Only a mention that the last reboot was unexpected, but no events at the time that it actually froze up.

Also only once did it freeze up when I was actively using the computer (I was about to log in to Windows) -- the other 3 times has been when I've left the computer for 15-20 minutes and come back to find it locked up. But I have sleep/hibernate/etc all turned off. Only my hdd is set to turn off after inactivity. And my screen.

I still can't adjust anything in Wattman, per amdmatt's suggestion or a commenter above, because it immediately resets itself.

So I guess I either wait for another new driver version, or I contact Cyberpower for a return and try switching to an nVidia card...

k3ungy

kurupted

I did get a bit over-hyped. What i did worked for something short of 1 day... Thought everything was good so i posted it. Sorry about that.
                              After realizing it wasn't working, i tried to look into windows problems, because i saw on many forums that people were having freezes and reboots after updating to the anniversary edition, and apparently problems occur in systems that are running SSD for the OS and HDD for the apps and other stuff. One of the fixes was to rollback windows version, and to do the update with only the SSD plugged in. Tried it, didn't work. Tried reinstalling the whole OS, and everything worked fine until... I installed the driver.. With or without my HDD on it still didn't work... So I am now sure that this is indeed a driver problem.

So this is a call for amdmatt and all of is peers. I have for you a brand new windows install ready to be tested with whatever tool, memory dump or else that you need to troubleshoot this (As long as you can guarantee that it will not hurt any of my components [Hurting windows istelf is fine, i'll reinstall it if needed]). And can give you all the info you want about anything on my computer. kurupted and me are counting on you guys hard. Cause i may have the chance of beeing able to work on an other machine, but it isn't everyone's case.

The Whole system info:

MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
                              CPU: Intel i5-4690k (stock and never oc'd ever)

RAM: 2x4go of corsair vengeance @2133Mhz

GPU: MSI RX480 Gaming X 8go

SSD: Kingston hyperX 120 go

PSU: Seasonic 660W Platinum
                              SCREEN: 1x 1080p panel (Connection between card and panel is made through HDMI)

I'll be available for any additional info or tests if needed.

lysergic

Because of all the restarts caused by the video cards i think i may have fried my SSD. Went out and got a new one. Sow now i have completely replaced my entire system except for the video cards and its still doing really wacky stuff. Such as black screens while idle gaming and installing drivers, failed driver installs. Crossfire crashes on overwatch. Flickering on crossfire configurations. I have had two system hang's which required a hard shutdown. I have not had a system reboot with the new cpu and ram installed yet which is the main problem. But like i keep saying sometimes the problem goes away for a month and then resurfaces. If i remembered how many times i have reformatted my PC and reinstalled windows 7 and windows 10 i would tell you but its just been too many times. So i hate to be negative but i don't think your OS is the problem here.

lysergic

Ok buddy.... I have been conversing with XFX the manufacturer of my card since the beginning. I have replaced my entire pc from 3 different psu's, chip, ram, mobo down to the SSD and surge protector and outlets. They are issuing me an RMA for these cards. They fail to acknowledge any blame for this. We will see what happens with the new cards when i get them. This is crazy. Ill keep you guys posted.

augs

I've been having the same issues as you. Even 16.10.3 has not resolved this.

I can provide what ever details required.

boobtube

I encountered the constant reboots after installing that Crimson installer.  Even in sleep mode, it will suddenly reboot.  I eventually just uninstalled the Crimson and just installed the driver that came with the disk in the box.  Unfortunately, this leaves me without a sleep function on my computer.  I had sleep with the driver that was installed via Crimson but the continual reboots are intolerable.  I'll live with no sleep mode instead.  Really am angry with this slip-shod software.