8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 3:20 AM by pcobra

High temperature and high cpu fan speed

pcobra

I have a FX-8350 AMD and the fan speed is over 6000 rpm with a temperature of 75 ° C. I tried updating drivers, clean the disc, wipe the dust from the fan, set the fan to the silent mode in bios, and nothing changes. What may i do to fix it? Thanks for the help.

cpu.jpg

• Re: High temperature and high cpu fan speed
          black_zion

Does the heatsink feel hot to the touch when it's showing 75°C? Sounds like a faulty reading to me, as AMD CPUs tend to get a bit unstable at around 61°C.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            techguy

Try using OTTC to read the internal CPU temp which needs to be below 62C under max load. OTTC will also show you the vcore voltage and CPU frequency which can show if the CPU is actually overheating and dropping the frequency to 1.4 GHz. and ~.875v under full load. The FX CPUs have a built in safety device that throttles CPU voltage and frequency once the 125w models reach 70C. If the CPU temp continues to climb even with throttling, the CPU will shut completely down so you know to fix whatever the issue is.

The OEM HSFs need to run at high RPM to cool the 8-core FX CPUs which draw a lot of power. You need to make sure that you have good airflow thru your PC case to extract the heat so the HSF can perform properly. BTW, you do NOT want the fan set to "silent mode" as this lowers the fan speed. You want the fan speeds all to be set to 100% or Maximum to insure proper cooling of an 8-core FX CPU.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                pcobra

Thanks for answering me.

The only monitoring software that i found was the OCCT, don't know if it is the correct one.

I don't know if i understand correctly what it shows, but apparently the voltage and frequency are ok (4115~4119MHz and 1.4v). Couldn't find the temperature display.

sad.jpg

techguy

There is a "read me" file with OCCT download that explains how to use the applet. You can select what parameters that you want it to display/graph for you such as CPU internal temp, vcore, CPU frequency, etc. That way you will see exactly what the CPU internal temp is when there is a frequency change and what the vcore value changes to at that instance. This info. helps to determine what is actually happening and if your CPU or VRM is overheating so that you can correct whatever issue you find.