• R9 380 2GB
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • Windows 8.1 64-bit
      • Driver version installed
        • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.1
      • Display Devices
      • ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch (21.5-Inch Vis) Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Monitor

• Motherboard
        • Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
      • CPU/APU
        • i7 3770k 3.50 GHz
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Thermaltake Toughpower 650W
      • RAM
        • 16GB

• Experiencing FPS drops for a minute or so, it will go very slow and stuttering, CPU spike definitely still happens just not as severe as previous drivers. VRAM Memoryleak seems to not be the reason as it stays well under 2000 VRAM from all Low Settings. You must be running the R9 380 2GB in order to reproduce this issue.
      • Battlefield Hardline and Battlefield 4, Started playing Hardline when I purchased the R9 380 One year ago, game updates have no effect for me this past year for both games and I never played BF4 until a month or so after I started playing Hardline. Mantle acts the same for both games.
      • 1080p All Low Settings except Mesh Quality is set to Ultra

• Re: BF4 BF:Hardline [Mantle] Performance Issue
          warpfact0r10
          • Have you performed a clean installation of the drivers using the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility? Uninstall the drivers as normal via the Control Panel, then before rebooting run the utility. Reboot and install the Crimsons.
          • I don't know what BIOS you have installed, but there is a note under the last update from ASRock for that board stating it "improves discrete VGA card vBIOS compatibility". You might try that. ASRock > Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
          • What antivirus are you running? Have you tried disabling it and uninstalling it temporarily?
          • Have you checked for Windows system file corruption by running "sfc /scannow" at an administrative-level command prompt?
            jakslap

Mantle doesn't work correctly with Battlefield 4 or Hardline. To get Mantle working correctly your gonna have to downgrade your drivers, the last 6 driver revision this issue has been happening. Check the release notes for the drivers it clearly states the mantle problem. Also i think AMD has dropped support for Mantle to focus on DX12.

• Battlefield™ 4 may experience intermittent crashes when using Mantle. As a work around users are suggested to switch to DirectX®11.
                fujiyama-95

Re-read the part where I state the driver version... 16.9.1 the issue you are even bringing up is not related to my issue at all, and 16.9.1 fixed the issue you bring up. No where in the release notes for 16.9.1 does it list that issue under Known Issues. That issue had to deal with AMD breaking Mantle I believe in 16.5.4 and + it was breaking the MantlePipeline1 and 2 Cache files so the game would keep crashing. What does that have to do with the issue im reporting?  Also I've already downgraded my drivers.... Mantle doesn't work properly because AMD never got it to... That is the whole point of my post is to report it to them so they while they have their guys working on Battlefield's Mantle API to try and get this fixed once and for all. Not even their official r9 380 drivers v1 and v2 does Mantle work properly. So i'm not sure what you are talking about as I've tried every single driver with Mantle.dlls. AMD never had Mantle working for GCN 1.3 cards properly... Unless you have the same GPU r9 380 2GB then please do not post up false information. It doesn't help with getting my problem fixed at all. As loading in older driver Mantle.DLL into Battlefield's directory does allow you to use an older version of Mantle to see if it will work, doesn't mean it works for GCN 1.3 cards since it does older ones....

AMD ran Mantle as Battle-Ready in Battlefield Hardline advertisement on their website that led you to newegg and amazon to see their NEW GCN 1.3 cards.... Not their old lower-end cards. But the R9 380 / 380x and 390s.....They stopped optimization for GCN 1.3 cards so they could focus on DX12..

warpfact0r10

jakslap brings up a good point. Mantle has more or less been supplanted buy DX12 and Vulkan. While I did play BF4 with Mantle enabled just a few weeks back, I did notice that there was some texture behavior present that wasn't there previously on older drivers and Win 8.1(I'm on 10 now). The good news is that with the Major Gains in DX11 Overhead with new 16.9.1 Crimsons, both games should run better than ever using DX11!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    jakslap

yeah to be honest there is no real advantage using Mantle anyway, i remember using it with my R9 280x and didn't notice any difference. mantle was designed for low power video cards not for your R9 380. high end card don't benefit from Mantle only low end cards. Save your self the headache and switch to DX11. Also with DX11 you can use SweetFX, which makes the game look 100 times better

fujiyama-95

The advantage is the whole reason why Mantle was developed. Allow the GPU to be more utilize and allow more headroom for the CPU..... Which is exactly why i've purchased by GPU. So I can stream Hardline on my PC since Mantle gives the CPU more headroom to work with it, it's possible on my CPU. So i'm not sure how that isn't an advantage vs DX11 get fps drops as well but with Mantle the fps drops are happening because AMD never optimized Mantle for GCN 1.3 cards, not because of CPU being pushed to the limit. Mantle was also designed for high-end cards... What are you talking about? They ran advertisements that led straight to the R9 380 / 380x and 390. They just stopped optimizing Mantle for the high end cards not because Mantle wasn't designed for it but apparently they had to shift to DX12 and put their focus there, as they said Mantle did it's purpose at the point of stopping optimization for the high-end cards.  Not sure what you are talking about at all....