13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 12:36 PM by ray_m

And all of a sudden a nightmare began

dstructuk

With no previous problems whatsoever, out of the blue yesterday I tried playing World of Warcraft and within 2 minutes the game completely locked up and after a few moments I was able to tab out and end the process, to see an error saying "Application was blocked from accessing graphics hardware", never seen this message before.. Dont know whats changed or making this happen/prevent but it totally baffled me.
      Relaunched WoW shortly after and the exact same problem happened.

I totally uninstalled the AMD software and drivers from my system and then downloaded the latest driver from the AMD website (I was only 1 version out of date) and then after that, yesterday I was able to play with no trouble.

Just came home from work now and played, actually forgot what happened yesterday and then after about 10 minutes my game has just well and truly crashed, 100% PC lock. Could not alt+tab out, could not even ctrl alt del, I had to press the restart button.

Where can I go for help to solve this? I was looking under the windows event log for the last hour and saw nothing about WoW.exe but I did see something for AMD Settings, I have a feeling its the AMD driver/software that is causing me problems....... Cant say revert back because the previous version was fine for weeks up until yesterday and now today since last night I am using a different version anyway.

Please help, I am puzzled

I am using the R9 290X on Windows 10

Thanks for reading, will appreciate any responses

Lee

• Re: And all of a sudden a nightmare began
          john007

Hello,

What does the Event Viewer log at the time of the error?

dstructuk

Honestly I dont really know what I am looking for in the event log, I was just having a look to see if anything popped up to me

I might be looking at completely wrong stuff but here goes:

I have a few criticals that are all said to be Kernal Power, "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

"The previous system shutdown at 21:53:24 on 15/09/2016 was unexpected."

Some other random errors I am noticing:

"Access to drivers on Windows Update was blocked by policy" - This may be of concern ?

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." - Alot of these

"Application Wow-64.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." - This is the first issue that happened to me

I cannot see anything that stands out to me that was created at the time of hard locks or at the time when I rebooted the system after the hard-lock

john007

Hello,

"The previous system shutdown at 21:53:24 on 15/09/2016 was unexpected." - Generic, lets looks further.

"Access to drivers on Windows Update was blocked by policy" - This may be of concern ? - Group Policy may have some entries blocked for your Windows Updates? Check your services and Device Installation Settings, if not I'll post an update to edit the Group policy'. Check this link.

Tech Encounters: Event ID 122 Access to Drivers on Windows Update Blocked by Policy - Fix Here

"Application Wow-64.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware" - More evidence of Group policy errors? Voltage issues? Or that's AMD's drivers bugging out.

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." - In my experience that is Voltage related to the GPU. You need to increase the volts on your GPU, benchmark the unit and monitor temps and usage.

Hope this helps.

dstructuk

Hello

I am interested that you mentioned Group Policy settings.

In all my years using desktop computers I have never heard of group policy before so have zero experience with this, I have been playing around trying to find it but no such luck.

I think you may be onto something because now I am having ANOTHER problem and after googling, the answers are also looking towards group policy settings BUT I have no idea where on my computer the group policys are so dont know how to access to change anything.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/173356-we-cant-sign-into-your-account-redstone.html

I am constantly getting this issue too now, I need to do this "Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System/User Profiles > Delete cached copies of roaming profiles" - But I dont know how to get too, searching for computer configuration gives me nothing and Ive tried a few things

catchabreak

Can you try this first, make another account on your computer and make it an administrator. Reboot and login to the account you made and see if the problems go away or remain, some times it can be an easy fix.

Ok if you confident you found the solution click in the corner of screen to bring up menu. Start typing group. Another menu bar will appear with a text box. look for an  icon that says edit group policy. Click on that and it will open the local group editor. Now my copy of Window 10 is the pro version which allows me to access and edit this. You will not  be able to access this with other versions of windows such as Home. If you do a search for  edit group policies windows 10 home there are several sites that can help you with this.

dstructuk

Not getting all replies through to my phone so missing a few until now,

Already formatted my PC now. Havent been on it enough and its probably to early to assume but it seems OK?

Am I going to be wrong saying that.... If what you said about the GPU being faulty or damaged is true? That worries me, I hope not. Cant be faulty I've had it over a year maybe 2 years now, but if its become damaged would be a problem for me... although I couldn't imagine how it has become damaged if it has