2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 2:25 PM by maxhardy

R9 380 black screen crash FIXED at last by fixing/locking the gpu clock

andrecirillo

amdmatt

Hi guys, I've went through hell trying to solve this annoying crash and tried a lot of stuff and tested a lot of drivers versions.

What really solved my problem was to use msi afterburner (with overclock extended option and without power play) to set the clock to 970MHz or any other value different from default gpu clock (980MHz in my case with the PowerColor R9 380 4GB). I've also turned off Power Efficiency in Radeon settings and I didn't change power limit or voltage, I've just changed the clock a little. I've also stopped using fan custom profile to let the card at 40 celsius degrees when idle and at 60 celsius degrees in load. This monster was made to run above 70 celsius degrees, with high resolutions, many video settings on and at full power and speed all the time.

With the fixed clock, the game performance is MUCH better and without the clock/power fluctuation the crash also stop happens.

I've been playing several games the last 2 weeks with Crimson 16.8.3 WITH NO CRASHES =)

So that's it, just use msi afterburner to set a fixed clock different from default gpu clock and be happy enjoying all your card power and performance.

VERY IMPORTANT: I've tested this setup with Crimson 16.9.1 and the screen goes black but the game don't crash anymore. Sometimes I need to power off and power on my tv or just return to the game after it minimizes. In both cases the games goes back with a lower resolution. So I reverted to Crimson 16.8.3 and everything is fine. After changing the driver, besides using Display Driver Uninstaller tool and removing amd drivers and programs, it's necessary to reboot a couple of times and to reset gpu settings and clear shader cache in Radeon settings to fully remove old driver residues. The guys from amd really made some changes in this new Crimson version and they almost solved the issue. The very secret to avoid the crash is to avoid the clock and power variation/fluctuation fixing/locking the gpu clock.

• Re: R9 380 black screen crash FIXED at last by fixing/locking the gpu clock
          obsidinyan

testing this right now. gonna report back whenever ill run into issues.

• Re: R9 380 black screen crash FIXED at last by fixing/locking the gpu clock
              maxhardy

My laptop intel i5 not switchable + amd radeon hd 7650m  2GB GPU i update Crimson then issue

started black screen on windows logon. then i clean the hard-disk ,installed new OS windows 8,8.1,10

when i try install any official stock catalyst or crimson ,DDU,amdcleaneruntlity,registry cleaner.

while installing display driver issue with black screen crash and some time mouse is showing flickering .....

i try many driver version not able install stuck or freezing..after only way hard shutdown

then i try uninstall amd display driver on safe mode then it able to login normal with Basic display adapter.

now unable to install any amd display driver for GPU it useless...

i have no found any solution in forums .

finally i find the fix for my laptop  Amd HD 7650M 2GB + i5 intel

a.black screen issue when logon and b.installation black screen

1st try with hdmi / vga connected second monitor then try to install  or try to turn on laptop still issue persists

it a hardware failure gpu dead.try below step it worked for me.

1. need "air heat gun" and "heat thermal paste".

2. disassemble laptop fully.

3.remove heat sink with fan from motherboard clean the fan dust if your have and now able to find chip process and AMD  Gpu in laptop.

4.read the chip which one is GPU and take "air heat gun" blow up-to 5 to 10 min then wait to cool 30 min don't touch chip.

5.put the thermal paste on both intel proccess + amd gpu chip place the heat sink carefully.and assemble your laptop

6. turn on  install any catalyst driver .i have install 15.11 catalyst  (don't install crimson driver it burn your GPU)

and enjoy

it working fine for me...

this very risk i have sony laptop the company is closed . i have no choice to service. i done by myself.

it help someone keep try any dead gpu and black screen issue