4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 1:33 PM by abhimanyu

Which display port to use for dual graphics config, ask me.!!

abhimanyu

Hi guys,

Have you ever encountered reduced performance when using dual graphics config on a amd system.?

I am using A10-7850k APU which has R7 graphics along with a discrete r7 250 OC 2GB ddr3 card.

IGD was kept as FORCED 2GB in bios.

If we connect display on IGD the AMD Radeon settings will show primary as R7 Graphics and the other R7 graphics as Linked card.

*This setup is a total waste as the combined performance will be a mess slow.. (GPU-Z shows ULPS active // whether it is on or off), no go

-------------------------------------

So, connect the display on discrete card and see the difference, AMD Radeon settings will show primary graphics as '''R7Graphics+R7200 series graphics'''

and other one R7 graphics as Linked.

*****This is the real configuration which will work great boosting performance to multiple times the before setup. (Example, if both your card has Memory bandwidth of 15GB/s each, then the Combined bandwidth will become 28GB/s for primary and 12-14GB/s extra from the Linked card will come up at the same time) Just imagine the boost it will give!

Remember, if you change the display from IGD to PCIe or vice-versa, screen will always go blank while booting after windows load. To fix or prevent this, always switch display port after uninstalling the AMD drivers, then after connecting display to the required port, reinstall AMD drivers..

PROOF: Need for Speed Rivals at 1440x900 resolution ultra settings worked at 5-7 FPS with the earlier setup while the same worked at 30-40 FPS with the proper setup.

• Re: Which display port to use for dual graphics config, ask me.!!
          amdmatt

Q4: Where do I plug my monitor in to get the best performance when using AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics technology?

A4: For best performance, AMD recommends plugging the display into your fastest GPU. This will ensure that even applications that do not take advantage of AMD Radeon™ Dual Graphics will still be able to run on the faster graphics card in your system. We recommend that you plug your monitor into the AMD Radeon™ GPU with the higher model number. If that is your APU, plug into the motherboard, if it is your discrete graphics card, plug into that.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/dual-graphics

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              abhimanyu

Well what it says in your reply is something which did not happen, in my system scenario.

The PCI-e card which I use (MSI R7-250 OC 2GB) is a bit of lower specs than the R7-igd graphics that comes in AMD A10-7850k APU.

IGD R7 Graphics: 2GB, 512 Shader Cores, Mem-25GB/s

R7-250 OC 2GB : 2GB, 384 Shader Cores, Mem-15GB/s (PCI-e x16)

That is my IGD is more powerful. But when I use IGD for display, hell goes the performance. 5-7 FPS on NFS-2016 Deluxe Edition, Crysis3, COD-AW, Battlefield-4, Battlefield-1 BETA..

While if I use PCI-e as display port, then above games work at 25-30-35 FPS

// Battlefield-1 BETA worked at 19-26 fps(Don't know what c'd have happened with it on igd dual graphics!!!)

dra6o0n

Your main GPU which is the integrated one, will downgrade itself to match the other GPU if you enable dual graphics with it.

The reason why the Discrete GPU performs better is because by not using the integrated GPU, your APU can focus on more CPU oriented work and offloads the GPU work to an actual GPU component, that gets it's own wattage and such.

You won't see decently performing APU configurations until the AM4 and Zen APUs comes out, which you can pair with the RX 460 in that case.

Heck, by just buying a RX 460 and using your APU as a CPU, you'd get a ton of performance back!

Btw, even if a APU has more shaders than a specific GPU, the Discrete GPU has a larger 'silicone' to use, over a APU that is split between CPU and GPU modules inside one large 'silicone'.

For gaming, memory bandwidth is generally for texture intensive games that likes to load in and store many many objects at once.

Overall, the core clock is better valued for it's overall rendering speeds for effects, physics, and such.

(Where as memory clock is for 'storing' texture files into the VRAM, the core clock affects how fast the display can render and update your screen).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                abhimanyu

Gotcha bro.. i have read about the HSA architecture in this APU.. It shuts of GPU work where possible to use the cores for CPU work and they do not sit idle.. Thats something cool though..!!!