4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 7:53 PM by jigzaw

16.9.1 memory clock (144hrz) bug reported

weirwood79

Windows 10 (fresh install)

FX 8350

GPU RX 470 NItro +

So in the previous drivers for the RX series if you set your refresh rate to 144, you had screen flickering. The fix, was to simply set your refresh rate to 120 hrz or less. With the new drivers you can now set you refresh rate to 144 hrz with zero screen flickering but your GPU's memory clock speed is @ 100% (for me it's 1750) and never idles.

I read over on Reddit that this is actually how a separate program solved the issue which was by increasing your memory clock. So I wonder is this intended by AMD to solve the 144 hrz flicker or is it a bug?

https://i.imgsafe.org/403046262b.jpg

• Re: 16.9.1 memory clock (144hrz) bug reported
          vonkruel

What I've noticed with the memory clock on my RX480 is that it's locked at maximum (2000Mhz) when running two monitors, but when I switch to a single-monitor configuration the memory is allowed to run as low as 300Mhz.  This is true even when the single monitor being driven is my 144Hz monitor.  So it seems like single vs. multi-monitor is the decisive thing for minimum memory clock, as opposed to refresh rate.  I looked into this because I was concerned that my GPU was running hotter than expected at idle (57-59C), but in single-monitor configuration the temperature goes down to ~45C due to the lower memory clock.  The locked 2000Mhz memory clock seems like it might be excessive ; maybe the minimum was 600Mhz that would be good enough for dual-monitors?

That's how it's behaved for me on 16.8.3 and 16.9.1.

• Re: 16.9.1 memory clock (144hrz) bug reported
              jigzaw

I've notice this if you use two monitors with one on the hdmi port on my Sapphire R7 260x 2GB GDDR5 1 dvi, 1 hdmi  and 1 display outlets. But if you use a hdmi to DVI to the monitor it doesn't clock that high. I replaced upgraded laterally to a Sapphire Nitro 370 4GB GDDR5 that comes with 2 DVI, 1 hdmi and 1 display port outlets and memory just clocks 150 while the gpu at 300 with a primary and extend display (dual display). Moving a large assembly on the screen it goes 1400 briefly on the memory while the gpu clocks at 450. When I use a hdmi connection to one of my monitors, the memory stays at 1400 and the gpu at 450 constantly. Using the hdmi seems to draw more power.

The gpu hardly clocks at 985 since I don't play games, just 3D CAD. But the new custom RX series have 1 DVI while the introductory models only comes with hdmi and display ports.