5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 9:52 AM by klooless

16.9.1 Caused GPU utilization to go crazy (Fury x)

klooless

Hi,

So I upgraded to 16.9.1 and I found out this weird problem. It's like whenever I open something (In windows) like a word document, YouTube video..etc I can see the LEDs on my Fury x responding to that ( Just like an HDD activity indicator). So I checked my GPU utilization and I can clearly see that something doggy is happening (e.g streaming YouTube = 30%-70%)

P.S: tried everything, currently I’m using 16.8.3 where everything runs just normal.

Specs

MOBO

MSI gaming M3

CPU

6700K @4.6

GPU

Fury X

RAM

Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit DDR4 2400

PSU

Corsair RM750

CPU Cooling

Corsair Hydro Series H110

HD

M.2 Samsung 950 PRO 512GB/ 540 Evo 500GB

Monitor

BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 27

OS

Win10 Pro

Case

Corsair Carbide Air 540

Thanks.

• Re: 16.9.1 Caused GPU utilization to go crazy (Fury x)
          qwixt

One thing to watch with utilization is GPU clock when watching videos and such, because it can look like high utilization, but the GPU clock is at 300mhz or something else lower than max clocks. A simple not necessarily account example is 100% usage at 300mhz = 50% usage at 600mhz.

Is there anything else wrong like high temps?

klooless

I see your point, the thing is that even the GPU clock seems abnormal in my case. Typing in word or notepad tend to change the clock speed.

Have a look here

Dropbox - VID_20160911_121736.mp4

qwixt

I see. I have a fury and tested how it behaves for me. I opened chrome and started a Civ VI video, and with my Fury, the clocks never moved from 300mhz. But then my monitor is 75hz. Just for fun, why don't you try setting your monitor to 120hz on desktop, and see how it behaves. Both amd and nvidia have issues at times with 144hz monitors. This could be related to 144hz desktop refresh and power efficiency.

There is also Power Efficiency setting under Gaming->Global Graphics that will never down clock the card, and will most likely increase idle temps.

klooless

Exactly, it never goes above 300 MHz even when streaming (up to 4k). It's interesting because I never had a driver issue since day one (except for FreeSync flickering which was fixed) Anyways, tried to play with refresh rates but I don't think it's relevant. However, Power Efficiency option did something! I saw the option enabled, and out of curiosity I turn it off then on right after.. And everything is back to normal!. But in the meantime, I think I’ll just stick with 16.8.3 until the next driver update and see what happens.

Thanks

klooless

**Update**

This issue is solved with the new 16.9.2/ basically the problem was with the Power Efficiency button giving unreliable information. it says the the option is on but in actual fact it was off. when I upgraded, the Power Efficiency option was turned off (based on last settings from 16.9.1), I turned it on and everything functions as it should.

regards,