5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 4:14 AM by amdmatt

Any Crimson driver other than 16.6.2 causing Doom issues in Vulkan

bigjoe980

Hey there, I have a Sapphire nitro 370 4gb for starters.

Since this is exclusively related to updating my drivers, I figured this would be the best place to post.

So as the title says I'm getting some problems while using any other driver through 16.7.x/16.8.x/16.9.1, it's a real shame too.. updating from 16.6.2 improves my framerate as much as 30fps, even after maxing out the settings. (which I can't do otherwise. have to run high-ish) Usually falls in the 50-60 range at high settings. 16.9.1 however was falling around upwards of 90fps at ultra and 8x filtering when not recording - Which is pretty amazing for the wimpy card

Major problem #1 is screen tearing, no vsync setting will correct this in fullscreen/borderless, unfortunately I can't record that problem... OBS just records a black screen after disabling vsync. (and, well.. I'm sure can just assume what it looks like anyways) Though it captures windowed tearing fine, but that fixes the screen tearing with it disabled - again, while disabled. It still tears like crazy set to On/Adaptive. *shrug*

Problem 2 is I'm getting terrible visual issues with motion blur.. or, at least I think that's causing it. Went away from what I could tell with it off. When I turn with it on certain surfaces will just turn into pixelated garbage while moving or turning. In particular highly reflective ones. I've got a vid of this issue on youtube (Nightmare metrics too, excuse the meager 720p quality)  Doom Vulkan problems in non 16.6.2 crimson. - YouTube

I've also gone ahead and uploaded a video of 16.6.2 performance as well to show that going just peachy with no issues, besides the worse frame rate and a random driver crash. Doom No Vulkan problems in 16.6.2 - YouTube

If anyone has any thoughts to fix it, let me know

For those who might night feel like watching stuff, I've attached a photo of some of the excessive garbled mess. 10 bucks says I could turn that into some sort of working QR code.....

Edit: It is most certainly tied to motion blur in the advanced tab (Normal motion blur setting is fine otherwise). anything over low causes it, but medium is much more sparse.. usually when clambering/mantling/climbing.. whatever you wanna call it.

• Re: Any Crimson driver other than 16.6.2 causing Doom issues in Vulkan
          amdmatt

You should report these issues to the developer. Vsync is not working correctly in Doom Vulkan, i see tearing as well with it enabled.

What GPU are you using?

bigjoe980

Vsync isn't supposed to in proper vulkan to my knowledge, since it implies its own method. but it shouldn't tear with it off. Also, the gpu I mentioned in the very first line   Sapphire nitro 370 4gb. wonderful budget card. Considering this is explicitly limited to driver updates I doubt a id/Bethesda person will be able to help.

amdmatt

Screen tearing is to be expected without Vsync enabled, so that's expected behaviour.

If you can share a DXDIAG report I'll check to see if we can reproduce the issue with motion blur.

bigjoe980

In other games to be sure. Not in Vulkan Doom though for the most part it's known to eliminate it on its own, not that I can fathom how it works. I like where the tech is headed though. But anyways, irrelevant since it tears with Vsync on, off, and adaptive for me unless I roll back.

I'll have to update this post after I reinstall 16.9.1, I rolled back to 16.6.2 to see if it'd help my gpu temps (it didn't... minimizing my Battle.net launcher apparently did though, heh, sometimes the simplest things...)

Dxdiag 1/2 are 16.6.2 and 16.9.1 respectively

I'll reiterate again cause I feel like you're not fully understanding my tearing problem... If you did though, sorry!

Doom-No tearing and blur problems what-so-ever in 16.6.2 regardless of settings, with Vsync on, or off, or adaptive. It's just far worse frame rates. 16.9.1 on the other hand is blur related blocky-pixelated like visual issues and tearing unless I'm playing in windowed mode and Vsync is set to off. Frame rate is also at least 25-50% Better In any area of the game -Except the first gorenest room prior to destroying it. I always Drop down to 40-45fps there even on the lowest possible settings at the smallest resolution. (I think the excessive red lighting is to blame?) That issue is admittedly weird, but not a problem since it's one isolated moment

So far all my other games were either the same as usual, or slightly better frame rates like in Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3.