seeker2k

16.9.1 messed up my system completely and utterly, possible hardware damage

Discussion created by seeker2k on Sep 9, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 by hardcoregames™

So, I installed Crimson 16.9.1 and it completely messed up my system. This is how everything went:

System:

OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1607 (Build 14393)

CPU - i5 6600K - running stock

GPU - XFX Radeon 480 with 8 gigs (the double fan one, not reference card) - running stock

RAM - 32 Gigs of Patriot Viper - running stock

SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500 gig

Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger - latest BIOS and Drivers - running stock

This is how I uninstalled my previous drivers:

1. Set all AMD Crimson to defaults, set mobo BIOS to defaults, booted up and ran CPU-Z and HW Monitor to confirm and make sure everything is at stock values.

2. Ran Windows update, just to make sure there are no patches missing, it was already up to date.

3. Uninstalled AMD Crimson 16.8.3 via regular means

4. Ran CCleaner

5. Ran DDU from safe mode

6. Rebooted - hard boot with pause in between

7. Ran AMD Crimson 16.9.1 installer, the drivers installed and when I restarted the system, that was it. System became completely and utterly unusable from that point onward.

Upon System reboot, as soon as Windows started to come up within about 1 second my screen turned into what you see in the 1st image (corru1.jpg). This is right at the start, before the login screen even comes up, when there is the little wheel spinning for a couple secs.

Needless to say, with that, at that point I can't even login or get to safe mode to uninstall the freagin drivers or do anything for that matter. I have tried everything under the sun to get into the safe mode. Booted of the Media Creation Tool went to repair, command prompt, tried the bcdedit diplaybootmenu and bootmenupolicy commands as applicable, tried system / windows repairs, tried restoring previous, tried restoring from back up, everything, and I do mean everything. Nothing worked, as soon as I get into any graphics screen past POST or past the screens from the Win 10 Installation USB stick, thats it. What you see on that screenshot is what I get. only exception was after trying those command prompt options, in which case I got what you see on the screenshot #2 (corru2.jpg), and as soon as I rebooted its back to the 1st one.

Not only was I unable to get back into safe mode with this to uninstall the drivers,  I couldn't even re-install a fresh windows OS now because it refused to install anything over the old installs and I was unable  to delete the partition(s) or reformat the drive so that I can actually perform a brand new clean installation. Not to mention my data, games, etc. all just gone.

I finally got my system to work again as follows:

1. Unplugged all hard drives and the USB

2. Plugged in Old Hard Drive with my original Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on it

3. Powered down, plugged in my SSD with the messed up Crimson install on it

4. Opened command prompt and deleted all partitions on the SSD

5. Powered down, unplugged the old HD and reinstalled completely fresh / clean of off the USB

I can't even imagine how frustrating this would be for people with only 1 hard drive or those that already repurposed their old HDs for data / media storage or alike due to previous drivers working and something like this happening suddenly. You can't even reformat your HD or reinstall the OS.

What is happening now:

After reinstalling the OS, all drivers, updates etc. I now have some issues. I am running Crimson 16.8.3 BTW, and I am not touching any AMD hotfixes until I see some mention of fixing stuff of this nature. My hardware, specifically the video, may be damaged and I am very concerned about this.

What is happening now is 2 things, mind you, I do not have any games up yet or any of the old drivers or old DX or old VC redist, etc. This is just pure, clean install OS + drivers + some misc up to date, known reliable apps for testing and CPU-Z and HW Monitor.

The 2 things are as follows:

1. As the system is coming of off POST (BIOS) and switching to the OS while booting, I get a stripe on my monitor. This is very fast, lasts around half a second to 1 second, its appearance is consistent with screenshots that other people have posted once their hardware has been permamently damaged. Unfortunately I can't take a picture due to how fast it is happening, though I suppose I could make a video clip if anyone wants to actually go that far. It disappears and the system proceeds as normal. This was not there prior to this whole thing happening. This is now also happening when I switch hard drives, and switch to my old, reliable HD.

2. I now have a mouse corruption bug. The same exact bug you find in other peoples posts about it, where the cursor turns to almost invisible line with some tiny dots on it and you basically can't do anything. In my case, there is also another mouse oddity. The "busy" or "active" mouse cursor icon, the little spinning wheel, has been reverted on my system to the hourglass from the days of Windows XP. I did not make any changes, this is all stock, brand new install.

3. There is some buginess and some issues that I have not managed to quite pin down yet with the AMD  High Definition Audio. My motherboard comes with built in RealTek High Definition Audio and the 2 are conflicting. While I do understand the potential there because 2 HD Audio devices, I would like to point out that I have not had any of these issues on prior installs, these are brand new and seem to be a part of lingering aftereffects from the Crimson 16.9.1 install fiasco.

To sum things up. At this point I am seriously considering just returning this GPU and if I can going with a 1070 board if I can get any money back for this one ( going to check into it), simply due to the issues I am experiencing with this combination of utterly borked drivers + the new Win OS under which I can't even reformat a drive to reinstall + signs of hardware damage due to these drivers. No new tech is without flaws and bugs are going to happen, but this ...... it just took the cake in all my years of building PCs for as long as custom build PCs have been around (yes, mid 80s). Seriously.

Attachments

Outcomes