2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 4:01 PM by b4ttlecat

Monitor sleep/wakeup problem on Radeon R9 390

eric2016

I recently upgraded to a Radeon R9 390 (from an R9 280) and have been having trouble with the monitors going to sleep (power save) /waking up. I am running Windows 8.1. Often, but not always, one of these problems will happen:

• A reoccurring cycle takes place where 1) the monitors go to sleep and the speakers place a USB disconnect sound; 2) one or both of the monitors then wake up, showing a blank blue screen and the speakers play a USB connect sound, 3) the cycle repeats. If this cycles goes on long enough it seems to cause problems in Windows. One day I discovered the PC frozen and after restarting I looked at the system event logger, and found a warning saying that explorer.exe was using about 22GB of virtual memory
      • When I move the mouse to wake up the monitors: Windows detects the monitors as being newly connected. It at first thinks only one monitor is connected and moves all my windows/icons over there, and then detects my second monitor and moves things back around.
      • When I move the mouse to wake up the monitors: Windows only detects one of the monitors and that monitor has an unstable image on it. The screen image is shaking and the problem is only solved by restarting the PC.

When I first replaced the R9 280 with the R9 390, Windows did not recognize the video card and launching the RadeonSettings app (automatically launched during startup) caused Windows to lock up. I had to go into safe mode, do an AMD clean uninstall, and then install the latest Radeon Crimson drivers. This led to the above problems.

I then reinstalled Windows 8.1 and installed Radeon Crimson Edition 16.7.3 -- the install failed (the package that failed was the graphics driver and Windows continued to use Microsoft's basic graphic adapter driver). I then tried installing Crimson Edition 16.8.3 Hotfix and this got things working, but still with the problems I described above. So basically: reinstalling Windows did not help.

Any idea what is going on here? Nothing in my system has changed since replacing the R9 280: same monitors, same system components, etc. I know that the 390 needs more power.... could this be a power supply issue? (I am using an ANTEC 650W power supply, i7 processor, 1 SSD and 3HDs; both monitors are connected via DVI and have built in speakers).

One of the monitor outputs on the R9 280 had actually died, and I sent it in for RMA, so I no longer have it available to test against.

Thanks!

• Re: Monitor sleep/wakeup problem on Radeon R9 390
          eric2016

Update: I have traced this issue to an application event that can be viewed in the Event Viewer:

----------------------

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Desktop Window Manager

Date:          9/11/2016 3:36:47 PM

Event ID:      9020

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      EricDesktop

Description:

The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898008d)

------------------------------

This event only seems to occur when the monitors should be asleep. When I observe the problems described above, this event is occurring sometimes as often as every 5 minutes. Googling around, it seems that this is typically caused by a misbehaving video driver....... I just updated to the latest Crimson 16.9.1 Hot Fix drivers, but it hasn't helped anything. Any idea on what I should do?

• Re: Monitor sleep/wakeup problem on Radeon R9 390
            b4ttlecat

I have a somewhat similar issue where my monitor, connected through DisplayPort will enter power saving mode but then the backlight will switch back on a few seconds later. I've been tracking the event with EventGhost and the monitor connection is being lost and found again during which time you can hear a click that the monitor makes when it is turning on.

This only ever happens whilst the AMD External Events Utility process is running. I stop that process and the system behaves as normal, albeit programs like Steam take longer to load the interfaces.