2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 11:04 AM by chinf

Rx480 ubuntu 16.04 performance stutter

damnruskie

Hello all,

I just installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 16.04, installed the latest drivers from AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® – Release Notes by following the provided instructions, and then tried out the drivers in CS:GO where I found that even on low resolution settings fps drops below 80 at times, with an idle average of around 150. Considering I was getting this with my old GTX560 Im a bit confused... is this the current expected performance?

Running:

AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor

cpu MHz  : 3311.126

ram : 16G

PSU : 850W

What I notice is that the ouput of :  dpkg -l amdgpu-pro

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold

| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend

|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)

||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description

+++-==============-============-============-=================================

ii  amdgpu-pro     16.30.3-3154 amd64        This package install all amdgpu-p

Which looks like the drivers are indeed installed, but Im unsure what the extra output is at the top, were the drivers somehow corrupted perhaps?

What can I try to further diagnose this??

• Re: Rx480 ubuntu 16.04 performance stutter
          tlewis334

I get the same issue, frame rates are fine yet for some reason the output stutters constantly. I hope this is something that will be fixed in a driver update.

• Re: Rx480 ubuntu 16.04 performance stutter
            chinf

I have a similar setup (but only a PhenomII X3 710), but haven't yet tried CS:GO on it. I don't have the stutter problem, but I do get random infrequent complete freezes with this driver under Ubuntu, but not with the latest drivers in Win10 on the same hardware.

Your dpkg output says that the desired state of the amdgpu-pro package is to be "installed", and that the current status is indeed "installed", and that there are no errors with the installation. The extra output you refer to is merely an explanation key with a bit of ASCII art to point to the relevant indicator columns.

You can check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to check that the modules are loaded from the amdgpu-pro directories and that there are no errors there.

Your "lspci -d ::0300 -k" output will list your GPU(s) and the modules used for them - mine shows:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 67df (rev c7)

Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 0b37

Kernel driver in use: amdgpu

Kernel modules: amdgpu