11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 10:40 AM by colesdav

Old Gamer

d2beetle

Description

A previously retired game computer which has been resurrected as my Primary (1 of 3) computer.

OLD Gamer 08132017.JPG

Specifications

CPUAMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
      CoolerZalman (CNPS9700)
      MotherboardGigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming
      Memory(x2) Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866 MHZ (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R)
      GraphicsXFX RX-570 4GB (RX-570P4D)
      Disc Drive 1WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM (WD10EZEX-08WN4A0)
      Disc Drive 2HP 1265t 24x Double Layer DVD +/-RW/CD-RW
      PSUCorsair RM750
      CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
      Monitor 1View Sonic 24" (XG2401)
      Monitor 2View Sonic 24" (XG2401)
      Operating System
      Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (OEM - System Builder)
      HeadsetLogitech USB Headset H390
      External SpeakerJBL Flip 4 (uses the headphone connector on monitor one)
        • Re: Old Gamer
          d2beetle

My younger brother and his son came over and I scrapped together a few parts, picked up some new video cards and we played Company of Heroes 1 and 2.

kxuping

pictures

d2beetle

Well I have been having issues since the Xmas holidays playing Diablo III; the screen would go blank or various vertical color lines and a buzz at random moments. Aside from this the computer works as advertised on all other games and work related stuff. So despite my research, driver updates, backdates and game updates I just could not resolve it. Now for Xmas I gave my oldest son the Samsung monitor noted above and my son gave me his Viewsonic (VA2702W) in return. After the third incident I decided to switch to a RCA 46" LCD HD TV (46LA45RQ); which did not fix the problem. So I spent some quality time shopping for the same Samsung monitor. It took a while but I found another one; it to did not solve the problem and it worked prior to the holidays. Just so I could say, "Been there, done that."; I tried DVI, HDMI and display port cables ... I wish Zen was out, I would have scrapped the whole thing and started anew. Anyway I took one last shot at it; I picked up two XFX RX-460's (RX-460P4D) and guess what? It is working now.

colesdav

RE: Well I have been having issues since the Xmas holidays playing Diablo III; the screen would go blank or various vertical color lines and a buzz at random moments.

Hi ...

Have you benchmarked this PC?
                  It should be fast.
                  That CPU Cooler looks like a Jet Engine .

colesdav

RE: Well I have been having issues since the Xmas holidays playing Diablo III; the screen would go blank or various vertical color lines and a buzz at random moments.

Seriously though ... Is your XFX RX-570 4GB (RX-570P4D) GPU running hot? Do you still have it? Did you try it in another PC?
                    I looked up the part number and that is a pretty good XFX GPU and it cannot be that old, but maybe you could think to try some more debug on it?
                    I see you replaced it with a pair of RX460's instead ... so maybe you sold/returned the RX 570?

I have found that My PC will behave the same (i7-4790K with Dual R9 Nanos (FuryX) in Crossfire) sometimes.
                    Game Crashed whilst I was running the CPU and GPU's  overclocked. 
                    Rebooted.
                    Removed all overclocking. 

From then on I got random Screen Corruption / Red Screen of Death / Computer Freeze and continuous  audio buzz, like the buzzer alarm on a Vintage Alarm Clock Radio.

I uninstalled the graphics drivers (AMD Crimson ReLive) , rebooted, reinstalled the Graphics Drivers.
                    Problem was still there, even when running without any overclock.

I thought my GPU's were dead.
                    I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling the Graphics Drivers, Reboot, Running amdcleanutility.exe, Reboot, Reinstall the Graphics Driver. Reboot.
                    Everything has been fine since. I am running with Overclocked CPU and GPU's fine.

You might want to try amdcleanuputility.exe or DDU if you haven't already ...

d2beetle

The RX-570 is the new video card that I picked it up this weekend for the "ALL Purpose" computer. It turned out that the ALL Purpose computer was over heating, because all of the fans (Case/CPU/Video) were clogged with dust. I am still at a loss as to why I failed to notice it, as I had to take the money from my Ryzen Budget to buy the new card. I always do a "Clean Installation" when installing drivers; which always requires two reboots and I do not install "ReLive".

Both computers are running as expected and I have not had time re-tweak anything.

colesdav

RE: Both computers are running as expected and I have not had time re-tweak anything.
                            Great News.

As for not noticing dust ... I was surprised how dusty the rear of my Corsair H100i Fans and Radiator were when I did an annual  "maintenance rebuild" on my PC. I clean the inside of the case ~ once a week anyhow, but around once a year I remove fixed components and clean them.
                            I also replace the Thermal Paste on the CPU every 1-2 years.

Bye.

d2beetle

I to have had to replace the thermal paste as well. My computer maintenance cycle is during the Christmas holiday season; as this is when I build the hand-me-downs for friends/relatives, provided I have the spare parts to do so.

d2beetle

Made some changes recently, got an upgraded video card (XFX RX-570P4D) from a failed upgrade attempt on my ALL Purpose computer. My kids got me two new monitors for this past Fathers Day and I upgraded to a 1TB HD and got a replacement CD/DVD Drive.

colesdav

Replacing the thermal paste on my i7-4770K last time around improved max temps by ~ 2-3'c under full load benchmark stress tests.

The thermal paste I used originally came with the Corsair H100i had dried and cracked.
                            I replaced it with Cooler Master  IC Essential E2 Gold Thermal paste this time around.

The i7-4770K has really bad thermal interface material inside the package, so keeping temps down is important.
                            Bye.