3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 4:41 PM by hakooon

Rx 480 no signal

hakooon

Hi guys. I finally registered on this site after a whole day googling my problems without luck. So here's my story:

I bought a Sapphire Rx 480 Nitro 4gb as an upgrade for my system to replace my GTX 570. I deleted and cleaned all my other drivers before I installed the card.

At first it worked great for about 20 minutes, then my screen went black and the monitor was getting no signal. Everything inside my pc seemed to still be running, including the RX 480.

I had to power off and on two times before it worked again. This time it worked for about 10 minutes, and then the same thing happened. I read some forums online that said I had to roll back to some older drivers. So I cleaned all drivers again and did a fresh install of older drivers (recommended by an amd employee). This time my pc worked for maybe 45-60 minutes, and I thought all was well. Then I bumped my case a little by accident and I got the same problem yet again! My first thought was that the gpu was loose in its slot, but it wasn't.

After trying to restart my pc about 20 times without getting a signal, I gave up and plugged in my old GTX 570. I got a signal right away, but apparantly my pc couldn't boot from my SSD anymore, and my SSD's name shows in bios with some funny signs around it (like a smiley), and only shows a 1gb capacity. I googled this problem as well, and apparantly my SSD is bricked!

My first thoughts then was that maybe it was the SSD acting up all along, and making me lose signal to the monitor? My SSD was loose inside the case because I didn't have a bracket when i installed it (stupid, I know). But then why is my RX480 not even showing BIOS when my GTX570 works perfectly? When I plug in my RX480 now the fans doesn't spin at all, but the Sapphire LED is glowing, and I'm 100% sure that it is seated and connected properly.

So naturally I started googling again, and it appears the RX480 needs a motherboard with uEFI bios. I'm pretty sure I have that though on my Sabertooth p67 gen 3.

In short I guess my question is: Why isn't my new RX480 giving any signal to my monitor (and fans not spinning at all), even in BIOS, when my GTX570 works flawlessly?

I'm desperately needing help with this, and I will try whatever you suggest! What should've been a happy upgrade day turned into a nightmare!

EDIT: I cleared the CMOS (at least I think I did it correctly, button next to the RAM) and rearranged the cables coming out of my PSU so that the cable that runs to the GPU is the only one connected to the "+12V4DC" section on the PSU. The card now boots, with the fans running, and there is signal to my screen in BIOS (or uEFI or whatever)! I'm going to buy a new SSD tomorrow to try a fresh install of Windows 10, and hopefully everything will be alright then.

I am however terrified that this problem will repeat itself, so I'm still curious about what you guys think caused this problem? Do you think it will all be OK with a fresh install of Windows? Does my motherboard even support this card (do I have uEFI?) Thanks!

My specs:

MB: Asus Sabertooth P67 gen 3

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k

RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair

PSU: Mist 1000W modular

• Re: Rx 480 no signal
          dwdx

My card is doing something similar as far as not signal. Sometimes when I enter the game CS:GO it will loose the signal with the monitor and say no signal on the monitor. Then I BLINDLY hit the console button and exit the game then the connection magically re establishes it self on I am out of the game. I do not get it.

jekoder

I have the same problem and strange thing is it only happens to certain game(world of warcraft) and for 16.7.2 the if the driver not responding it will successfully recover, other version of driver will just makes my monitor has no signal at all

CPU I7-2600K

VGA XFX RX480 GTR 8G

MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3

RAM KINGSTON 16G

PSU Coolermaster 750W

hakooon

Well, after all that troubleshooting, I found the simple answer. It's a faulty card!

My friend ordered the exact same card, so I got to try it in my machine and it works perfectly.

Now comes the hassle of sending it back and getting a replacement...