11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 12:23 PM by stranger929

16.8.3 (Feedback) Bring back the R. G. B. gamma sliders from Desktop Color tab.

hadax

I updated from 16.3.1 the other day to try the Battlefield 1 beta. The next day, after I was done playing I switched back to my IPS monitor and noticed something didn't seem correct. I thought maybe the update reset the gamma sliders only to find a shortcut to the nearly worthless Windows "Display Color Calibration" in place of the usual "Additional Settings". After I found "Radeon Additional Settings" under Home/Preferences I was shocked that I couldn't find the "Desktop Color" tab that was home to the Gamma Sliders. I have relied on these gamma sliders and this page Gamma calibration - Lagom LCD test  since switching to LCD panels long ago. I got a 144hrz Freesync monitor recently with plans to upgrade from my 7950 in 1 to 3 months but if this function isn't brought back by then my new card won't have Freesync. I'm sure there are alot more like me out there that are still using older drivers until a something forces them to update and I bet more than half of them also use these gamma sliders to manually calibrate there monitors.

Almost forgot but the card randomly not waking from sleep seems to have returned with this driver. Well actually its slightly different this time the monitor wakes up to a black screen and I have to pull the power for a minute or two to get the card to recover just like the old stuck in deep sleep issue.

• Re: 16.8.3 (Feedback) Bring back the R. G. B. gamma sliders from Desktop Color tab.
          jamesxx

Exactly! Bring back GAMMA!

Seriously, that is what I used a lot when gaming in windowed borderless mode because you can't change in-game gamma in this mode. After 16.3.1 Gamma slider was deleted. I got color correction sliders and Brightness + Contrast sliders instead but Gamma is what I need.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: 16.8.3 (Feedback) Bring back the R. G. B. gamma sliders from Desktop Color tab.
            noelc

I can't even get a reading on whether this feature is available in the "Radeon Pro" line.

-Noel

john007

I had to back engineer the driver and compile a custom framework with RadeonPro which took over a year, It has everything. It wont last forever and I'm worried about the current state of the AMD driver.

Kingfish says AMD removed the features? Loco says the panels are being implemented into crimson?

We need an update AMD with all due respect.

kingfish

The feature I am referring to is the "Additional Settings". You are lucky you even have them...many cards do not have that option at all now. Just a notice that there are no settings that are configurable. Besides the features being discussed here, the bigger issue is not having control over DVI settings...and the default setting is problematic.

john007

Thanks for the reply Kingfish, much appreciated.

''You are lucky you even have them'' Well I guess alittle luck was involved but many many sleepless nights down the rabbit hole. A huge amount of dedicated work was involved in the custom package.

''many cards do not have that option at all now'' My thoughts go out to the dedicated Redteam, I tried my best to convince AMD to look into this further for years now.

''Just a notice that there are no settings that are configurable.'' You're the top dog here you are an asset to AMD. You're opinions should be taken seriously. If you left, this forum would be dead no doubt. Whos going to answer to 99% of all threads here? Knowledge is valid.

''Besides the features being discussed here'' I agree, that's the reason I'm on this thread now, may I ask why did you agree to lock you're original thread regarding missing display/color features? 

''the bigger issue is not having control over DVI settings...and the default setting is problematic.'' I agree, this is unacceptable from AMD. I cannot express my anger right now especially with the formal warning I have to be on my best behavior. If AMD cannot literally listen to the top community leader than with all due respect AMD, that is truly disgusting.

We hope to see a nice new interface soon, AMD.

waltc

I thought the same thing that you did at first...but, actually, after using the Windows Gamma controls--I can still get exactly what I want.  Not sure why you think the Windows calibration is worthless--there's a settings slider for gamma adjustment plus separate settings sliders for the R,G,and B levels--that's all I use--I don't bother with brightness & contrast monitor settings--just click right through those...does the same thing that the old Gamma settings did for me and my RX-480 8G.  Oh, I use the Lagom LCD test, too, and have been for a long time--have no trouble at all getting to where I want it to be.  I still have "Additional Settings", but "Create Custom Resolutions" has been moved to "Display", now, I've noticed.  I use the Display Port with an actual RGB monitor--not a television--and I also see a Color Temperature slider under Display.  Additional  Settings only allows the user to check that the card is outputting 8-bits to the monitor (or 6-bits, but I'd never change it from 8, of course), and allows me to set either Full RGB output or limited (and I'd never select limited, either, of course.)  AMD has almost gotten everything moved over into the Crimsons, now.  Change is painful, I know, as it was painful for me, too, at first.  But, really, I have no trouble getting system Gamma where I want it using the Lagom tests.

And I just noticed that I have replied to a really old, old post...;)  Gaaaa...!  Wish people would not dig up these old posts and reply to them--make new posts and be timely.  Current driver is 17.5.1.

john007

Not good enough. Crimson should have the color/display panels implemented just like CCC had for a decade.

AMD you remove the decent features and replace them with unstable junk like nolive and nowattman.

stranger929

Yeah, this is unacceptable. Now I have to try to return this card and buy an Nvidia?

Working in print, I need to color correct my monitor for print standards. The visual effect of that on a typical web page is drastic and makes surfing the web ugly and gaming impossible. Sliders and profiles allowed me to switch back and forth between profiles depending on what I was doing on the computer. Now that's out the door and AMD is worthless to me.

Does anyone know when these sliders were removed? I'm wondering if it's possible to use old drivers on a new card (RX 580 Black)? I'm not sure I can return this card at this point.

AMD solved all my Nvidia issues when I switched to it, now they've made themselves irrelevant. I'm incredibly disappointed.