AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMDGPU-PRO - GUI / Settings

Question asked by double_facepalm on Sep 2, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2019 by colesdav

Hi AMD developers,

I've recently read a lot of praise about AMD supporting Linux Open Source drivers. Also, the latest generation of cards (RX400) seemed to offer decent all-round performance on Linux (both with AMDGPU-PRO and Open Source). That's why I decided to ditch my older nV card and purchase a Nitro+ RX480.

Now, the good things first. With the exception of a glitch on Cinnamon having completely black screen after login (this is probably a Cinnamon issue, hope they'll fix it soon - in the meantime, I am using MATE) everything runs pretty well on Linux Mint 18 when using the latest AMDGPU-PRO drivers. All my games / benchmarks run smoothly on the highest settings. Even the Talos Principle's Vulkan BETA benchmark is pretty stable (unlike on my previous card) and runs roughly double the frame-rate. So the card is fast, cool and quiet - no complains there really.

However, what I find truly shocking (unless I missed something), is the complete lack of any GUI or command line settings supplied with the driver. I wouldn't expect something as comprehensive as Radeon Wattman on Linux, but including at least a basic utility that would give me some information about the GPU (vendor, frequencies, voltage, temperature, fan RPM) and offer basic settings would be a common decency.     

Hope you find this feedback useful.

Best regards,

O.

Outcomes