11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 12:33 AM by justuselinux

My AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor Overheating

justuselinux

My AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor runs at 141 F. It's brand new, with a brand new water cooling system, with a dual radiator. I've been told that the problem is the thermal paste between the lid and the CPU cores, and that I need to replace this thermal paste with high quality thermal paste, and put the CPU back together again. I spent all my money on the CPU and cooling System, so I can't spend any more money. What do I do ?

I don't understand why these CPUs seem to overheat stock out of the box. They are very expensive to replace. I don't understand why I should have to remove the Lid, and replace the geese in order to get it to cool properly.  This CPU is in my main Computer, so I can't send it in, without a replacement.

• Re: My AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor Overheating
          Earnhardt

My 8350 @4.6 is sitting at 18-24c with a Corsair H100i GTX with an ambient air temp of 20c.

What Cooler are you using and who installed it? Maybe the pump isn't plugged in.

Wait a minute, that's only 60c,are you talking under load?

And "deliding: wont help, the FX 8350 is ,from what I found, soldered.

[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 1061

• Re: My AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor Overheating
            techguy

The 8-core AMD CPUs draw a lot of electrical power and as such produce significant heat. The OEM boxed fan cools the CPU without issue as long as you have proper airflow thru your PC case. The thermal paste inside the CPU between the lid and core has nothing at all to do with your CPU overheating. BTW 61C under max load is the max user operating temp.

Either your liquid cooling system has insufficient cooling capacity or it has some operational problems. Make sure that your water block is properly mounted to the CPU without excessive TIM. Make sure the water pump and fans are running at 100%. You may need to change the fan settings in the BIOS or O/S to achieve full fan speeds. In many cases poor liquid coolers such as the Corsair H series may require you to mount your fans on the outside blowing air through the coolers into the PC case (bad idea), because the warm air inside the PC case causes the inferior liquid cooler system to not provide sufficient cooling. Unfortunately if you do need to blow outside air through the radiators into the PC case you will cause all of the other components such as the GPU, HDD, SSD, etc. to run hotter than they should be running, often reducing their lifespan. If your liquid cooler system doesn't perform near an H100 you will likely need a better cooler. There are many HSFs that can cool an FX-8350 without any issues and zero coolant leak liabilities.

The link below shows you a variety of HSFs from the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and better that can cool a FX-8350 properly. The Hyper 212 EVO typically sells on Newegg for ~$39.95.

Coolermaster AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hyper 212 Evo FrostyTech Review

Earnhardt

He's not asking for a new CPU Cooler, but what May be wrong with His Current setup.

*** EDITED BY FORUM MODERATOR ***

techguy

Some people in this forum do not understand the forum rules or have failed to even read them. This is an AMD User's SUPPORT forum, meaning that AMD User's are posting comments that they feel are of value to the OP's question/issue. Member post content does not require the approved of dissenting forum members with an agenda. Posting inappropriate, abusive or disparaging comments directed towards another forum member because one member does not share the same point of view as another member is a clear violation of Forum rule # 5. which states the following:

"NO PERSONAL INSULTS or ATTACKS. AMD provides this site for our users to gather and discuss AMD products and technology in general. You are free to disagree with others, but if you resort to personal attacks or abuse. your post(s) will be deleted. If you believe you have been insulted, please report the post but DO NOT retaliate. Posts that contain or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, or hateful content or content which is racially or otherwise objectionable, or which infringes upon the rights of any third party are strictly prohibited and will be removed.

I am well aware that some members of this forum take exception to me providing technically accurate hardware information that has been substantiated to be true because these members are fans of AIO/CLC/liquid coolers which have clear and irrefutable coolant leak liabilities along with water pump failure issues that HSFs do not have. These facts have all been established in numerous threads in this forum over and over again when liquid cooler fans challenge the information that I have posted. I will not be deterred from reporting factual and useful information regarding CPU coolers by insulting, abusive, retaliatory comments that are in violation of forum rule #5.

Installing a liquid cooler into a PC by it's very nature introduces a serious coolant leak liability which many PC enthusiasts are unaware of including the hardware damage that has been reported by users all over the Net. As such making all AMD users aware of the liability issues associated with liquid cooler is important. No current AMD CPU requires a liquid cooler for proper cooling. As such there is no "need" to introduce a coolant leak or water pump failure liability into a PC unless a person desires to do so. I always advise people to buy/use whatever hardware makes them happy as it's their money. It matters not to me what people chose to use for a CPU cooler. What does matter is that PC enthusiasts know the technical facts and liabilities associated with all liquid coolers.

In my post above I explained to the OP how to make sure that his liquid cooler was performing at it's best and if the cooler lacked sufficient cooling capacity, I advised the OP that there were any number of inexpensive HSFs available that would properly cool his CPU without the irrefutable cooling leak liability that all liquid coolers have. No one else provided the troubleshooting info. that I provided to help the OP. At no time did I suggest the OP discard his liquid cooler. In fact I mentioned ways for the OP to obtain the best performance from his existing liquid cooler. I will continue to provide accurate, useful, relevant information in my comments to assist the OP as well as other forum members reading these threads. Helping people with accurate information is precisely what this forum is designed to achieve.