5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 5:02 AM by ismithers

Black Screen/No Signal When Installing Drive or Toggling Crossfire

ismithers

I have a weird problem that has been plaguing me for a couple of months now, and I am unsure how to resolve it. I have tried quite an extensive series of troubleshooting steps without success, so am reaching out to smarter people than I for assistance.

In a nutshell, when I install a new AMD driver, during the installation the monitors goes black and after a moment I see "No signal detected." At this point nothing short of a reboot will bring my OS back.

Further, if (after a successful install - more on this in a moment) I toggle Crossfire On/Off the same thing happens.

So my system is as follows:

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard

4 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz Memory Modules

2 x ASUS Strix R9 Fury Direct CU III GPUs

Intel Core i7 6700K CPU

3 x BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz Freesync Monitors

BeQuiet! Dark Power 11 850W PSU

I can get drivers installed, if I:

1. Disconnect the power from the GPU#2
      2. Boot in to Windows.
      3. Install the drivers.
      4. Power off.
      5. Re-connect the GPU#2 power.

From there I can boot in to Windows and all is well. This is what I need to do for every driver release, and every time I wish to disable Crossfire. Which is a total pain and makes my inner-child very sad.

Please help, there will be cookies provided.

• Re: Black Screen/No Signal When Installing Drive or Toggling Crossfire
          ismithers

Here is some additional information as I have just been through an install of the latest 16.8.3 drivers released on August 30 2016.

A regular uninstall and reinstall of the drivers failed as above, with a black screen present mid-way through.

I then performed my usual process after shutting down my PC:

1. Disconnect the power from the GPU#2
          2. Boot in to Windows.
          3. Install the drivers.
          4. Power off.
          5. Reconnect the power to GPU#2.
          6. Boot in to Windows.

Upon arriving in Windows, I received a notification from Crimson, stating:

"Default WattMan settings have been restored due to an expected failure."

At this stage AMD Crimson tells me that Crossfire is enabled. I then checked in GPU-Z and confirmed it thus. Please see attached files for dxdiag, and screenshots of GPU-Z for each GPU as well as Crimson UI screens. My OS is Windows 10 64 Bit Ultimate - I forgot to mention above.

ismithers

As of the October 16.10.1 Hotfix drivers, I can no longer boot with two video cards connected. I get an black screen approximately 5-10 seconds after booting in to Windows 10. Additionally, if during that time I am quick enough and right click on my desktop, instead of seeing AMD Crimson in the right-click menu I see a blue menu icon that talks about AMD Firepro and another graphics card model (I can't recall the name now). Once when I did this, there were two menu items that said that. Swiftly followed by an error talking about some ATI dll that is not designed to run on Windows.

amdmatt Any chance of some eyes on this? These cards are not cheap.

ismithers

I found a post from amdmatt that indicated how to install an AMD GPU driver, manually in Windows 10 through device manager. Doing this caused the black screen issue and I could not get any driver working with my usual methods (as above). Instead, I had to totally reinstall Windows 10. I highly suggest not using this approach.

After reinstalling WIndows, the 16.10.1 Hotfix driver installed fine.

There appears to be an October 13 version of this driver with a Shadow Warrior 2 Crossfire profile that I want, so... am about to head down the rabbit hole again. Wish me luck. In other news, I did log a support ticket with AMD. I have received a reply and am updating this post with new attachments post reinstall, as the information may vary. I will update this post in the event additional information becomes known.

During toubleshooting I have attempted the following:

1. Forced screens to 60Hz after uninstalling the drivers, in case the high refresh rate was causing issues.
                  2. Tried my the GPUs on to separate rails on my PSU, in case they were drawing too much power (really clutching at straws here).
                  3. Enabled my onboard Intel GPU so that I could see what was happening during the black screen crash (nothing, everything just froze, mouse non-responsive).
                  4. Reseated both GPUs.
                  5. Swapped GPU slots around.
                  6. Swapped cables/monitors around.
                  7. Tried with a single GPU installed. (works fine).
                  8. Tried with the other GPU installed, also in single profile. (works fine).
                  9. Tried installing GPU driver manually as mentioned above. (had to reinstall Windows at this stage as no matter what I did the screen was black after logging in, whether one or two GPUs).
                  10. Performed a tribal dance and burned a paper effigy of a goat. (caused smoke alarm to go off, black screen persisted).
                  11. Checked GPU manufacturer for updated bios. (cards have latest bios).
                  12. Checked motherboard for updated bios. (installed the latest bios, no difference in behaviour).
                ismithers

I'm just adding some additional information here as perhaps others may find it useful. I contacted AMD support and have been speaking with a very helpful technical support representative called Jagan, he has provided a few steps to try the last of which I've had good success with.

If using Freesync, disable this on the connected displays. Using the regular AMD Install Manager, remove your current drivers from the system. Reboot, and then (in my case and those with multiple monitors) disconnect the non main ones. Then install the drivers, reboot, and reconnect them.

I did this successfully with the AMD 16.10.2 Hotfix drivers released on 20/10/2016. After rebooting both GPUs were installed correct, and both showing CrossfireX enabled.