I had a perfectly working R-290 but Win 7 x64 had developed a few quirks, so I wiped the drive and reinstalled fresh. I used my Win 7 x64 SP1 ISO and then found that I could use downloadable "rollups" to update the install. I applied two, one from 2015 and one from 2016. Then I turned on automatic updates and it added a few more. This included an HDMI Audio driver. So with a fresh installation, I downloaded and ran the latest Crimson package. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but only the HDMI Driver and AMD Install Manager were offered ... and that's all that installed.
Since then I have uninstalled the AMD drivers, which by the way are listed in installed programs, but aren't really there ... the listing disappears on being clicked without any dialog. I ran DDU and tried it again. I pulled the CMOS battery and shorted the jumper, but that didn't help either.
The autodetect app correctly identifies my card, even when Windows thinks it is a Standard VGA Adapter. But the package downloaded there also installs only the HDMI and Install Manager.