9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 10:57 PM by walking_corpse

Helping hand

crazycarl

Hello all. I have been trying to look around to see if I can find a company or organization that could donate maybe 3 new low-end computers to a homeless shelter that I do some computer work in. They use them only to do resume and to apply for jobs and housing. They do get donations of older used ones however they usually don't last long. Just checking to see if anyone has any ideas. I try to help as much as I can but I am financially struggling myself. Thanks for any help anyone can be. If you have any questions let me know THANKS !!!!!!

• Re: Helping hand
          anubismarc

As a community I know we all have some equipment that we can all donate to help build 3 computers to meet the need of this gentleman. In all actuality all we need to do is get together gather what we can, put them together and make the donation. we just need to get this organized. We have all needed someones help at one point or another in our lives and if we can we should try and pay it forward. I myself have 2 HDD and 1 500 watt PSU I can donate to the cause anyone else?

crazycarl

Yeah that is a great idea. I have some parts here too. I will try to get a chart or something of the parts we will need. I do try to pay forward as much as I can. This day and age everyone needs access to computers these days to be able to do anything. This actual shelter took in my sister when she was having issues so I want to help as much as I can. I will probably be able to get 2-3 cheap cases. I will keep throwing ideas out there and see what we can get going. THANK YOU !!!!!!

anubismarc

Great idea, about the chart of parts let me know what you have I'll send you a list of what I have let's start this ball rolling

Where is this at? Shipping would probably be most expensive aspect. I'll give you a few ideas.

Post on your local Craigslist. Some people have older computers that work, but aren't worth much and they'll give them away for a good cause.

Do you have any computer recyclers near you? They may help you out.

Check with your municipalities. They usually auction off office equipment and it can go for next to nothing.

Hospitals and Colleges near you may also be able to help.

Local mom and pop computer shops. I'm sure they get older systems from people.

feverstriker

Would love to know what city and state this is in, I might be of some assistance.

timmahotool

Just holler when you get the list and I can see what I have laying around.  (No my garage isn't full of computer parts) I could be in for at least a couple smaller square lcd monitors. #Givingback #Redteam

walking_corpse

Will see what I can scrounge together, will keep you posted.