7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2017 7:48 AM by mobilegunn

RX 480 Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

furrypony

I am running the RX 480 and I started getting this error, not sure if it happened after a driver update or windows update but 3DMark and some games would crash randomly. Is anybody getting the same error? In the event viewer it also shows Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

RX 480

FX 8320

Windows 10

16.8.2 Driver

Asus m5a97 evo r2.0

Thermaltake smart se 730w

16gb ram

• Re:  RX 480 Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware
          ray_m

When exactly do you get this error ?

mobilegunn

I encountered this same issue with my RX480. I tried all of the stuff recommended in other posts but nothing worked (full Win 10 reset, different driver ver, setting tdrdelay in the registry, etc).

I then realized when I experimented with setting the Power Limit to +10% in Wattman and the PC reset instead of just giving that "Application Blocked from Accessing the Graphics Adapter" message was that my Silverstone 500W PS might have been insufficient (i5 3470, SSD, HDD, RX480)

In the end, I got my RX480 to play graphically intense games at full resolution/all setting turned on by:

- Upgrading to a Thermaltake 750W Gold power supply

- Using latest Crimson drivers (17.2.1)

- Setting compatibility to ON

- Setting Power Limit to +10% in Wattman

My benchmark was trying to run Spec Ops: The Line (not a very new game but with the old 500W PS, the game would stutter and then shift back to the desktop within 30sec-1min. I was able to get this game to run for 2+ hrs with the new PS.

NOTE: I'm not sure if I needed both the compatibility setting and +10% power limit and I plan to experiment later. However, I still encountered this issue with compatibility = OFF and power limit = 0 (default).

mobilegunn

I just did some additional testing to figure out what settings actually made my system stable.

1) In 17.2.1, "Power Efficiency" under the "Global Graphics" under "Global Settings". Turning this feature off caused instability in my PC (just kept swapping between the desktop and the game until the PC reset itself) so I had to keep "Power Efficiency" ON for the PC to be stable when playing games. This seems a bit weird as having it on is supposed to cause issues. It doesn't appear to be the same setting as "Compatibility mode" in previous driver revs.

2) Even if the system now runs just fine at a steady 60FPS (played this game for a few hours without any issues when before the game would crash within a minute), turning the Power Limit up +10% doesn't seem to hurt things at all for me so I just kept that setting after trying it back at the default setting of 0%.

Good luck everyone with a similarly disapointing experience. I'm not trying to overclock the GPU or anything; I just wanted it to perform without any hiccups at the out-of-the-box default settings without a fairly significant amount of fiddling on my part.

mobilegunn wrote:

I encountered this same issue with my RX480. I tried all of the stuff recommended in other posts but nothing worked (full Win 10 reset, different driver ver, setting tdrdelay in the registry, etc).

I then realized when I experimented with setting the Power Limit to +10% in Wattman and the PC reset instead of just giving that "Application Blocked from Accessing the Graphics Adapter" message was that my Silverstone 500W PS might have been insufficient (i5 3470, SSD, HDD, RX480)

In the end, I got my RX480 to play graphically intense games at full resolution/all setting turned on by:

- Upgrading to a Thermaltake 750W Gold power supply

- Using latest Crimson drivers (17.2.1)

- Setting compatibility to ON

- Setting Power Limit to +10% in Wattman

My benchmark was trying to run Spec Ops: The Line (not a very new game but with the old 500W PS, the game would stutter and then shift back to the desktop within 30sec-1min. I was able to get this game to run for 2+ hrs with the new PS.

NOTE: I'm not sure if I needed both the compatibility setting and +10% power limit and I plan to experiment later. However, I still encountered this issue with compatibility = OFF and power limit = 0 (default).