7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 8:33 PM by the_mard

The last Catalyst is really old.

skullman

When AMD is gonna release new catalyst drivers? Does anybody know? Last version is 9 months old. Do they stopped supported linux and it is time to migrate to Intel and nVidia?

• Re: The last Catalyst is really old.
          amdpete

There have been more recent drivers for example these Ubuntu ones:

AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® – Release Notes

skullman

Yes, but that doesn't support my hardware, I've already taken that driver under consideration but I've got A10-7800 with Debian Sid and Arch. I've found on this forum information, that for this GPU Radeon driver is far better despite unsatisfying performance. Another PC I've got runs on HD7870 card with Gentoo, as well this GPU isn't supported by AMDGPU driver. I own laptop with Intel Iris graphic and that works out of box. nVidia provides recent versions of their closed source drivers very often so problem seems to be with AMD only, I know that because most of my friends use gForce GPU's. I'm gonna upgrade ma both PC's about New Year so to make the right choice I've got to know: is 15.12 the last version of AMD closed source drivers for Linux or not.

waltc

Nine months old?  Amazing, why just the other day I downloaded the 16.8.2 Catalyst drivers for Windows and could swear they were a couple of weeks "old"!  (rolls eyes) Please explain to me why anyone who is genuinely a games enthusiast (that means someone for whom games are a daily avocation) would be running only a Linux distro...? I've asked that same question for years and never received a cogent answer.   If gaming is not a take-it-or-leave-it proposition for a person, but more of a it's-one-of-the-primary-uses-of my-computers proposition, then Linux is definitely not where you want to be.  At least with OS X,  Apple was smart enough to go x86  finally and Gerry-rig in a Windows' dual-boot helper program for that small group of people who like Apple software enough to be willing to buy a Mac as the hardware dongle required to get OS X to even run...;)   So, if you like gaming I would highly recommend that at the very least you dual-boot with Windows, because not only are Windows' drivers by all IHVs including nVidia released at a much more rapid clip than their Linux drivers, you will find there is an entire, massive universe of games that Windows supports but Linux does not (and if you really want to "go stupid" then just run an emulator on top of Linux on your x86 computer in order to run a Windows game!)

skullman

@waltc, I'm not a gamer, not with except of Quakes and UTs. Sometimes Doom3 and so on. No one other game attracted me enough to keep Windows on my drive but to play my favorite games and at same time keep system fresh I need relatively recent drivers. Catalyst 15.12 at the date of release was already obsolete because it didn't supported kernel 4.0. Catalyst is required to play even ioquake3 in resolution 1920x1200 on A10-7800 APU without any lags. Why not windows? Due to same reason I don't use Android (having linux inside), permanent invigilation. I don't need spy at home secretly rummaging in my files and sending my data to some secret places . I rather resign from gaming  than my privacy. Obviously you know about differences in energy efficiency and power management using different drivers. So I don't have to be a player to want closed source drivers for my PC.

the_mard

Heyyo, That's the thing, AMD dumped fglrx. It won't be getting updated ever again since their focus is now on open source and AMDGPU drivers. They have been coming along quite nicely. Who knows? Maybe ioquake and such will adopt Vulkan and your framerate would literally double... maybe yes, maybe no...

RadeonSI OpenGL Performance Has Evolved A Lot Since Early 2015 - Phoronix

As for getting Catalyst working on the latest kernels? There's patches I saw on github you could manually apply and compile drivers and such... I haven't bothered tbh. Not enough Vulkan games on Linux for me to give it a go on my MSI R9 390 and even my favorite game World of Tanks doesn't have vulkan and using Wine with OpenGL on AMD is abysmal compared to Windows with DirectX.

skullman

That's the answer I wanted. To many "maybe yes, maybe not" so rather maybe not. I was ATI adn AMD customer from the years and sadly I will have to switch to Intel and nVidia. Many thanx the_mard for help me to make right decision.

the_mard

Heyyo, interpret my post however you want, but OpenGL performance has always been better on Nvidia. Heck, even the latest popular title with OpenGL, Doom 2016 Nvidia dominate the benchmarks in OpenGL 4.5 mode where-as AMD is stuck in OpenGL 4.3 (dunno if that .2 version number makes that much of a difference, but it definitely is a noticeable difference in OpenGL support)... BUT, that story instantly changes in Vulkan support where AMD GPUs leap above Nvidia... then again, I guess Doom 2016 doesn't apply to Linux since it uses Denuvo DRM which isn't WINE compatible (at least for meow).

OpenGL has needed to go away for a long time... not just because of AMD's performance in it, but every game I've seen with OpenGL always runs better with DirectX these days. OpenGL hasn't been dominantly faster than DirectX since pre-OpenGL v3.0... Back in those days? DirectX 7 was molasses compared to OpenGL v2.x... but then OpenGL stagnated on improving, Pixel Shader support being a prime example... Vulkan is amazing since it's essentially AMD's Mantle made compatible to other GPU makers... but it was also tardy to release compared to DirectX 12 which had over a half year's start... maybe game developers will turn to Vulkan since it supports Windows 7 and 8.1 where-as DirectX 12 doesn't? Maybe game developers will stick with DirectX 12 since it also makes it easier for game developers to port to and from Xbox One??? Who knows for that stuff... but we all know the answer to gaming on Linux is Vulkan. That rings true for Nvidia, AMD and Intel. All three will easily see benefit from Vulkan, with and without asynchronous compute.