40 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 5:46 PM by uzpcustoms

RX 480 NITRO+ (4gb) crashing computer

supra

Hello everyone,

I have just received my first AMD graphic card, a RX480 (in order to replace an old NVIDIA), and when I play a game the computer shutdown after 15 minutes (Witcher 3) or at launch (Evolve).

Model : Sapphire RX480 NITRO+ OC 4GB

Intel i7 920 / ASUS P6T SE

Driver : Catalyst 16.8.2. EDIT : same problem with 16.7.2

I have tried :

compatibility mode

clockblocker Capture - HostingPics.net - Hébergement d'images gratuit

Display Driver Uninstaller

Nothing is working. I have searched on the forum, there seems to be a lot of problems with RX480. I wonder if I have to send it back and take another card ;(

Could you help me ?

• Re: RX 480 NITRO+ (4gb) crashing computer
          ray_m

What is the model and capacity of the PSU in your system ?

redhen256

Is the entire computer shutting down or is it the screens that go black and the computer no longer responds to commands?

supra

EDIT : i have underclock the GPU clock to 800 mhz and game are working without crash now.

I have already stress the gpu with Futurmark during 40 minutes at defaut speed of Saphhire, so the gpu seems to be ok. Is it a problem of power supply ?

abi

You probably have a low watt issue. you said that used furmark and it was stable, however gpu+cpu+mobo+ram maybe isnt enough. The thing is i dont know if it is low watt comming from the power supply or from the Mobo power rail themself. Do you have someone who can borrow a psu for test?

supra

My old GTX560ti was running fine, without problem on my Corsair VX550W. I am no sure that the consumption of GTX560ti (no OC) is less than the NITRO RX480 OC+ ;(

I can't afford to buy a new power supply just for a test at the moment.

bearcat22

The 560ti pulls 150 watts. The Nitro pulls 225 watts. I think your cutting it pretty close with that psu. Especially if you got a lot of other things running in your computer. Are you overclocking your cpu? How old is your psu? After a while their output will drop. Not much but a bit. Try putting the 560ti back in and see if it keeps crashing while gaming.

supra

Thank you, I thought that the RX480 had less consumption than the GTX560ti

My corsair VX550W may have 4-5 years (don't remember) :

GTX560 ti + i7 920 OC@3.5ghz is stable

RX480 + i7 920 stock restart the PC

If I have to change my PSU, do I need a 650W bronze or gold ? It's out of my budget, but I can buy one if I am sur at 99% that I will resolve my problem.

bearcat22

I havn't gone psu shopping for a while but I'm sure somebody here has and can let you know what would be suitable for you. I've always used Enermax but there's few other good names out there. Overclocking can pull a lot of extra power. I'd recommend a 750 watt but not if you havta compromise quality. Did you try putting your 560ti back in to see if the computer still crashes? If it didn't crash there's a good chance it's a power issue. But I don't know about the 99% part.

bearcat22

Wow. Had some spare time so I went through AMD's forums and checked things out. After all the complaints I'm seeing about the RX 480 I'm not all that sure if it is your psu. I'd give it a 50-50 chance it is.

thecamelman79

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-120-G1-0650-XR/dp/B0106RDIN2?th=1

I run this for $80 bucks made by SuperFlower and EVGA's rock solid no cost to you 10 year warrenty

It's fully mudular so you dont have extra cables in your sexy glass front cases if your into that kinda thing.

I'm Running an

AMD FX 8350 overclocked to 4.6 GHz

Cosair Hydro Series H80i v2 (2-120mm fans push/pull) cpu water cooler

EVGA 650 Gold SuperNova G2 Fully Modular PSU

4 TB Segate Hybrid 5900 RPM

2 TB WD Black 7200 RPM

Hatachi CD/BR/RW/Buner/coffee mug holder thing i never use any more

1 TB Samsung EVO SS Drive

Gigabyte 970 DSP Rev 2 Mother board

16 Gigs G-Skill Ram

3 additional 120MM case fans

And

Led lighting

all that with no problems off that power supply, and with gold efficiency  i've never heard that fan kick on...i'm not saying that it doesn't kick on....just if it does... i sure as heck can't hear it.

daddys computer.jpg

Anybody else find the tpying on AMD Forum pages to be Laggy? all my other web stite are just fine just fells like these AMD pages are always like 3 or 4 key presses behind me especially when i'm backspacing and deleting? makes it a real pain to edit and spell check

supra

Thank you guy.

My PSU is just a bit hot.

I have tested 40 minutes of Furmark (GPU stress 100% !) + prime 95 (CPU stress 100%) at the same time and no crash.

Is it a problem of Radeon drivers ? I remember that the first time I have installed , Evolve was crashing at the laucher menu . After reinstalling Windows 10 64bits, I could lauch it for 5 minutes and Witcher 3 would crash after 10-15 minutes.

bearcat22

Yea, running those two programs at the same time would draw a lot of power. If that didn't make it crash your psu is probably strong enough to game with. You havta figure out if it's the card or something else in your system. Could also very well be a incompatibility with Amd software\driver and Windows 10. But who knows.

Try putting your old card back in. Don't think you've tried that yet.

If it doesn't crash then it's probably has something to do with the Nitro.

Do a clean install of Windows 10 and install the drivers that came with the card. If it crashes return the card. You meet the requirements for installing it so it's not your problem.

cssoz

found any solution yet?

kempohaken

Hello All,

I'm having this very same problem.

I have Nitro+ RX480 OC 8Gb

P6t SE mobo with i7 930

Thermaltake 700 psu. dual rail. 25A per 12V rail.

Catalist 16.9.xx.. latest as of yesterday.

Windows 7 64

When I play games. After 5 minutes the computer fully shutsdown, like disconnect from the outlet type of shutdown, then restarts. But if I run Furmark alone everything works fine.  The problem seems to be when the PC is completely stressed.

The problem points to a low psu, but I have a 700W one. I know that dual rail can still be short on amps, but still.

A friend of mine has the same psu in 600W running a GTX970 OC perfectly... It is 6th gen i5, so probably consumes less power.

I haven't tried yet to use compability mode, will try tonight.

I just want to know if its worth buying a new psu. Or if the problem might be related to the pci power draw issue from the rx480.

Supra, did you fix your problem?

cssoz

RX 480 - Black/Grey Screen - shortly after during game - hang/freeze PC

Check the above link, I have not have time to make a correct answer but follow the pictures of AMD Settings should solve your issue. also you can lower the target temp instead of 75 down to 65 if you want. target fan speed to 2700 - 2800 depends on you. This method is to ensure the GPU is cool enough.

you might need a new PSU if above method does not work.

kempohaken

Tried your settings but computer keeps shutting off. I´m going to assume my problem is the psu. Just ordered a new one to try out... but will not be here till next week... I´ll post my results.

Thanks

tmfitzhugh

Did any of this work?

My pc is 1 day old

AMD 8350

16gb ddr3

Gigabyte 970 G1 mobo

Gigabyte RX 480 8gb

800w psu (!!! plenty of power!!!)

same issues with locking up, crashing, restarting

cssoz

Look at all of my progress through my thread. RX 480 - Black/Grey Screen - shortly after during game - hang/freeze PC

and thecamelman79's near god-like assistance and advice for more info

Probable solution and DR:TL:

• Use WattMan per game profile NOT global settings. and follow the picture I have below

that should solve the issue.

tmfitzhugh

None of this worked for me

not wattman changes

not safemode

not uninstall and reinstall

not changing pci slots

nothing

actually it is worse now

I am returning this video card and never buying Gigabyte ever again.

cssoz

stop crying about Gigabyte is bad. First of all what is your PSU ?

tmfitzhugh

I have a 80+ 800w psu. Have to check brand later today as it was a cyberpowerpc build.

I tried the other pci slot last night and that didnt help the situation either. I have tried the wattman settings on here and that hasnt helped either, now it wants to cut out before going to full load, i.e. just using windows and google chrome.

Using HWmonitor the GPU temps never get out of hand either. Never above 60c, it crashes before it can get any higher.

tmfitzhugh

When I get home I am going to try putting it back in the original slot and re-seating the ram.

Going to try undervolting to 1050 for the last 3 states as well. Let you know how it goes :/

Was having a very rough day yesterday

cssoz

Ah OEM pre build. I'm certain is a non high quality psu. Or even the mobo. If it's not a gold, platinum, or Titanium rated. Don't bother. Get new psu

tmfitzhugh

So none of that worked or helped. Undervolting and reseating everything didnt do much.

cssoz

i just had a grey screen and i played around with AMD settings, one of the game profile didn't work properly. hence overheat. Witcher 3 was fine.

tmfitzhugh

I am at the end of my rope. Ive tried pretty much everything on here. Now the wattman program crashes and wont restart (probably from all the uninstall and reinstalls). AMD drivers keep crashing.

Im doing a complete win10 reinstall and trashing everything (pc is only 2 days old so not much here).

Going to try my luck again after the reinstall, if I cant get better results i am going to RMA this card

cssoz

Start the RMA ticket support via the website. it will take and a few responses. If clean install (delete ALL partitions) Windows 10 + newest AMD driver. Faulty cards happen considering it's the first batch, i got the first batch also.

thecamelman79

That "CyberpowerPC" PSU has got me worried. not to menrion the other components in rig that might not be so power efficient drawing more Amps than needed.  If I were to wager a guess I would bet if you were to unsrew the PSU from your rig and read the data plate you would find a Multi-rail with a low thermal Amp rating of like 20 amps per rail. which in it self aint bad but the RX 480 can pull 9 amps along by it self so you can easily see how if there is anything else on that rail rail your can easily be overloading causing a reset.

I would hope that a 800 watt PSU had multiple GPU output regaurdless of weather its modular, semi, or even fixed like i sortaa expect it is coming from CyberpowerPC. Try connecting it to another graphic card output and see if that makes a difrence , some times they even includeone of those two molex connectors to 6 or 8 pin connectors depending on your card in your box with your card you could try, they whole idea being trying to get the card to run on its own seperate 12 volt rail independently from the rest of the computer to make sure your not over amping..

But yeah if i was to guess that CyberpowerPC PSU would read like this:

Output: up to 800 Watts

Voltage: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 –5V –12V +5Vsb

Max Load: 35A 40A 16A 18A 0.5A 0.8A 2.5A

Min load: 0.5A 2.0A 1.0A 1.0A 0A 0A 0A

Regulations: ±5% ±5% ±5% ±10% ±10% ±5% 

Ripple: 50mV 50mV 120mV 120mV 100mV 120mV 50mV

Noise & Ripple 100mV 100mV 200mV 200mV 200mV 200mv 100mv

tmfitzhugh

20161008_161316_resized.jpg

tried re slotting the card in different pci slots and that had no effect

tmfitzhugh

replacement card is on its way though from cyberpower. Ill post in a couple days when I get it if it fixed the issue or not.. Im pretty sure this is down to the card itself.

Sometimes the pc locks up, sometimes not. Sometimes the video turns to a blank gray screen but I can still adjust music and such, sometimes it forces a reboot.

All happens during a video intensive load that sends the gpu to 100% and happens after it is at 100% for a few seconds.

tmfitzhugh

I will add that I can prevent a lockup/shutdown/grey screen if when the video begins to flicker and the polygons start going haywire,if I can manage to hit the x on the program/game it saves the crash and the pc goes to the desktop like business as usual.

thecamelman79

If I were a betting man I'd put money on a possible driver issue..... I'll admit I busted On the Multi-rail guess- but it was a guess and you have lucked out on being a Single rail 66 amp PSU..... and while there is nothing certian in this world it is rare that power supply failures with graphics cards don't result in a "Hard Reset" basically from their breaker being tripped. So it's a pretty safe bet your PSU is OK and coming from me that should mean something becuase i'm usually the first one to scream "replace your power supply"

I know you said you reinstalled but did you use "DDU in safe mode" first?

Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.2.0 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

After that especially if switching from Nvidia to AMD, DDU is not perfect and either by using CCleaner or Msconfig you'll find a few Nvidia start up reference items you might have to clean put.

same thing in when you run "msconfig"  windows button + R (msconfig) select "services" tab tick the box in the lower left corner that says "hide all microsoft services" and go through and disable anything related to your old card.

this is also a good time to spring clean any other garbage that might be in there you might have been collecting, people tend to think that conflict can only occur between video driver software but common sense will tell you every layer you load builds upon another...... so spring clean the heck out of it and the worst that will happen is you will have a quicker system than before you started. you can always re-enable something if you find out you really wanted it.

After your sure your as clean as you can be... download the latest driver... reboot and check again.... if it dont work then.... it's probably time to replace the card not necessarly because it's a 100%for sure the card is faulty but you reach a point where no card is worth that much trouble out of the box, and the Gigabyte cards are seeming to be sucking.....    the only other idea is did you try going into wattman and increasing the power globally by 50% to see if that fixes the problem, a few people have reported that working which leads me to believe gigabyte undervolted the cards too much.

cssoz

Form the sound of it could be gpu issue but I'm certain is the psu and its a bronze rating one too....

thecamelman79

Did you try Switching outputs from GPU-1 to GPU-2 to try and see if you can get on another rail? depends on how the PSU is configured but it doesnt hurt to try.

uzpcustoms

Try using a Kill-A-Watt meter. I did, and found running an Overclock on my 8370, plus an overclock on my R9 390, and an Overclock on my RX 480 pulls well over 900 watts from the wall, and that is being fed by an EVGA 850P2 PSU with 92% efficiency at 100% load. Always buy the most powerful power supply you can afford, and stop listening to chumps that say you only need XXX amount of power. High Wattage 80+ rated PSUs run most efficiently in the mid band of power output, ie; 40-60% range. So if you draw 500 watts, you can run a 1kW PSU at its highest efficiency. 220w fro my FX 8370 CPU, 30 from my Water Cooler, 345 from my R9 390, 230w from RX480.... and then case fans... it all adds up very quickly. I have overdrawn from it before and it just shuts off. So in order to further expand my system, I have no choice but to invest in the EVGA 1600 P2 PSU so I can run at the highest efficiency levels and have room for a RX 480 expansion later.

1 of 1 people found this helpful