3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 3:12 AM by icatalin32

higly material issues concerning Directx 12, amd hd3d related to latest radeon drivers (freesync too) for R9 290

icatalin32

Hello AMD support team,

Hello all,

I have serious issues with AMD Radeon drivers, the situation is dramatic in my opinion and that's what made me decide to underline it here, to share my views and to see if there are others who experience similar problems for their Radeons R9 290 or other AMD Radeon gpus in Windows 7 (x64) or Windows 10 (x64).

In fact, after testing and switching between catalyst/crimson drivers, I have the picture for Radeon R9 290 (all below is my personal opinion and from my personal testing, the issues should be further tested):

1) for AMD HD3D - last working driver : version 14.12 ; this driver has no problems for 3d native games (I'm not talking about SBS or OU, just pure native frame packing for games that have native support); sadly, this driver is limited to Windows 7 use, for Win10  there is no fix since all the following driver version have problems when using AMD HD3D mode imo, I've checked them all, this is bad news for win10 native 3d gaming for anyone with a R9 card if that's indeed the case here;

Don't get me wrong though: amd hd3d activates itself, I mean when I start the game (I take Tomb Raider 2013 as the exemple but the issue is the same for all native 3d games, the same problem steaming from driver) the picture on my tv switches to 3d mode (1080p/24 hz 3d on my active shutter sharp 60" aquos or my LG 42" 3d passive mode) BUT, and here starts the problems, THE 3D is broken, I mean it doesn't properly renders itself, I get somehow a mix of foreground in the background or background in foreground. It's weird but definatelly amd hd3d part of the driver doesn't render correctly the 3d mode. If I revert to omega 14.12, then I get perfect 3d rendering mode.

Another missing "part" in 14.12 driver is imo "freesync" support. I have a monitor with freesync capability (an AOC model). Because I want to be able to play native 3d games aswell (Tomb Raider for ex), I can't benefit from my screen freesync capabilities for the other games I own because I have to stick to 14.12 driver, otherwise I  would loose proper 3d support. This is indeed very bad.

2) for DirectX 12 mode to be properly enabled in Win10 gaming for my R9 290 (to be able to run a game in DX12), I've checked all drivers following version 16.3.2 and all prohibit me to access dx12 mode, the games refuse to start on dx12 mode, I get start crash to desktop asap. The only driver for my Radeon R9 290 which allows DirectX 12 is version 16.3.2 and I guess all the previous versions (or maybe not).

In this case, I have freesync suport but I don't have proper stereo 3d support and I can't play my favorite 3d native games. Again, bad news.

My bottom lines: AMD care less about fixing issues, they don't read the forums and don't even care about the driver feedback forms I sent. This is really bad and in this particular issue (very important issue since drivers are more important sometimes than hardware), I guess Nvidia wins.

Keep up the good work AMD. This is indeed bad because at hardware and price/quality level, you guys know how to please the customers.

• Re: higly material issues concerning Directx 12, amd hd3d related to latest radeon drivers (freesync too) for R9 290
          icatalin32

I've recently found out what exactly is the cause of broken 3d. It's because the amd hd3d driver (tested by myself in latest Crimson Edition 16.11.5 driver) in stereoscopic 3d mode "switches by default" left and right eye. By default, eyes are swapped by default in the latest drivers which is bad. The solution is simple: AMD should fix the drivers but in the meantime, I've found a simple solution to this issue by wearing my 3d glasses upside down. Everything is nice although I loose the comfort by wearing them like this.

For DirectX 12, exerything is fixed in the latest builds aswell. I guess I had issues because I have a non-SSE 4.2 cpu (core2quad) and AMD (thank God) fixed this.

So, even if AMD hasn't fixed the stereo 3d issue, since there is a solution to this (wearing the glasses upside down), I guess I can consider this thread closed.

• Re: higly material issues concerning Directx 12, amd hd3d related to latest radeon drivers (freesync too) for R9 290
            pankaj160

icatalin32

Dear Friend

I was also facing this issue from more than a year. I have lenovo laptop z51 with AMD Radeon R9M375 GPU. I was never able to run 3d games neither through Tridef nor through native hd3d games like dirt3. In dirt 3 games there is option of stereoscopic but is always disabled.

I havetried tridef from windows 8.1 version, now I have win 10 also. Every time when I launch games through tridef window, the games tries to open but immediately crashes. Whereas games work perfectly well opened directly.

Then I configured Radeon setting to run the game and tridef on intel gpu. To my suprise the tridef was now able to run 3d with side by side mode however, fps was to low.

This clearly indicates that the issue is with AMD Catalyst driver only.

Please help me if you got any success

I have LG 3d TV 49UB850T.

icatalin32

Hi there,

First of all, I apologize for answering so late, it was due to the holidays, I've stayed away, kept a distance from computers, hehe! Ok, back to your problem. From what I've seen so far with Radeon gpu (I own an R9 290) the problem has never been IF amd hd3d switches 3d on, and instead HOW to switch it RIGHT. What I mean is that, starting with drivers 15.XX (i don't think win7 or win10 makes any difference, OS I guess is not the issue here), amd hd3d (so native) didn't work well, I got 3d on my tv but it was somehow broken (later I found out as I pointed out in the thread that the issues was caused by a glitch in the drivers which somehow "natively switched left and right eye" so to be able to see native 3d correctly, all I had to do was to wear my 3d glasses upside down (I still do that because AMD hasn't fixed this on latest drivers from what I saw and tested). Actually, I care less because I don't mind wearing the glasses like this. Problem didn't existed until drivers 14.12 included (best native AMD HD3D driver I guess). But I couldn't stick with 14.12 since games required other fixes so the driver should be updated all the time, obviously. So I wear glasses upside down and everything is ok.

Now, from what you describe below, I find it hard to believe it's only a driver issue. You're using a laptop and from what I see, it has a hdmi out. Check if you have a hdmi 1.4 cable, this could be an issue for native 3d rendering. Try drivers 14.12 and also latest driver on amd website, try a game which has native rendering such as Tomb raider 2013 or Rise of the tomb raider. I am not talking HSBS or HOU, this work obviously since they don't require a special output like frame rendering hd3d. For SBS or HOU, all it require for you is to have your laptop connected through hdmi with your tv and the tv does everything. Try also Trine 2 or Trine 3 but choose amd hd3d rendering not SBS/OU from its options. Your tv is more than ok, I wish I had a 4k tv for my ps 4pro but heck, a full hd is ok. Yours lacks HDR from what I saw on specs. Sorry for the offtopic.So, steps are the following:1) install drivers (start with 14.12)2) install native hd3d game and configure it for native 3d (not SBS/OU)3) connect your laptop to your lg through a hdmi 1.4 cable (check at local stores)

Try this and get back if you still have issues. There is something there which troubles me, I mean your laptop has dual video cards, maybe the second one gets in conflict with your radeon r9. Make sure this doesn't happen and the game is rendered on r9.PS: I haven't tried TriDef (I guess it's something like nvidia 3d vision, it "makes 3d possible" using driver or other software). I don't reccomend it, I like only native 3d (amd hd3d).

To: Axxa Nicolae <oaxefulmigre@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:52 PM

Subject: Re: higly material issues concerning Directx 12, amd hd3d related to latest radeon drivers (freesync too) for R9 290 | AMD Developer Forums

#yiv9481758471 * #yiv9481758471 a #yiv9481758471 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9481758471 #yiv9481758471 h1, #yiv9481758471 h2, #yiv9481758471 h3, #yiv9481758471 h4, #yiv9481758471 h5, #yiv9481758471 h6, #yiv9481758471 p, #yiv9481758471 hr {}#yiv9481758471 .yiv9481758471button td {}

|

Community 

Re: higly material issues concerning Directx 12, amd hd3d related to latest radeon drivers (freesync too) for R9 290

in Drivers & Software  icatalin32Dear Friend I was also facing this issue from more than a year. I have lenovo laptop z51 with AMD Radeon R9M375 GPU. I was never able to run 3d games neither through Tridef nor through native hd3d games like dirt3. In dirt 3 games there is option of stereoscopic but is always disabled. I havetried tridef from windows 8.1 version, now I have win 10 also. Every time when I launch games through tridef window, the games tries to open but immediately crashes. Whereas games work perfectly well opened directly. Then I configured Radeon setting to run the game and tridef on intel gpu. To my suprise the tridef was now able to run 3d with side by side mode however, fps was to low. This clearly indicates that the issue is with AMD Catalyst driver only. Please help me if you got any success I have LG 3d TV 49UB850T. Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community  SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:  

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|