1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 12:13 PM by kingfish

BSOD Installing 16.8.2, Unable to open Radeon Settings etc...

jh17-23

After installing some AMD drivers (16.8.1) on August 11th I started getting errors for RadeonSettings.exe in my event log

Faulting application name: RadeonSettings.exe, version: 10.1.1.1641, time stamp: 0x578d4d34

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process ID: 0xa0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1f661e78c1e8d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

and the notification 'defult Radeon WattMan settings have been restored after an unexpected system failure'. There was no visible fault with the application and it worked fine. then came BSOD's taged under Kernel_Security_Check_Failure. Likely to be caused by driver failures. This was in light of the AMD install but also the Windows 10 Anniversary update and a few other issues, making it difficult to pinpoint the cause, even with memory dumps.  few days later I opened AMD Driver AutoDetect on my system and it suggested that version 16.7.3 was recommended for my System (Windows 10 64bit, AMD FX-770k CPU and a Radeon R9 270, which seemed odd but I proceeded to install them in the hope it would fix the BSOD's. the installation went smoothly and I rebooted to the same 'WattMan settings have been restored' Nofiticiation, Radeon Settings worked fine and there was no visible fault other than the event log errors, BSOD's continued to occur. Today I decided to install version 16.8.2 in the hope it would solve my issue. I opened Radeon settings, clicked update and went through the AMD Installer, it got to about 50% around the point of starting the install for RadeonSettings.exe and the the system Blue Screen again, in the middle of installation. The PC rebooted and now, although the shortcut is present clicking on AMD Radeon Settings does nothing, the cursor doesn't spin and the app doesn't open. AMD Gaming evolved opens fine and tells me 16.8.2 in installed and everything is up to date. AMD Auto-detect says the same. When I go to uninstall AMD installer via control panel, the application opens and doesn't list AMD Display Driver, which following the instructions here (Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers) is the only thing I should check as I'm using an AMD Processor.

How should I get the drivers fully re-installed with Radeon settings back up and running?