1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 2:11 PM by catchabreak

"display driver failed" repeatedly on new RX480

l_stetson

Hello,

I recently built a computer using a Powercolor RX480 Red Devil, and am having trouble when trying to play games. The games run smoothly and beautifully on high settings, for a period of time. After between 5-15 minutes of the games I've tried (Metro 2033 and Evolve) the screen locks up. Sometimes it resets and gives the message "display driver failed and was recovered" and other times it locks up and I have to manually restart. I am running Windows 10 and the AMD drivers 16.8.2 update. I have occasionally experienced general sluggishness of the PC after such a crash, but not always.

I've tried using DDU and reinstalling the drivers, even though it is a fresh build and this is the first video card installed. I've used CPUID hardware monitor and the Globalwattman monitoring programs, but I didn't see any jump in temperature or anything else suspicious before the crashes. The Radeon settings manager program crashes regularly after this happens, too.

I have checked all of the cables and connections withe gpu, psu, motherboard and everything seems fine. Everything works fine for internet browsing, word processing, watching videos and video chatting, only gaming causes the crashes.

Here is my parts list, I would appreciate any advice in terms of settings tweaks, other diagnostic programs that might help, or other suggestions. I have seen reports of driver incompatibility with Windows 10 and wanted to make sure this isn't something that would warrant sending the card back while it is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdC2VY

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdC2VY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($113.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($67.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.99 @ B&H)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ B&H)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 8GB Red Devil Video Card

Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.49 @ SuperBiiz)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.88 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($251.99 @ B&H)

Total: $1008.10

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-24 11:29 EDT-0400

• Re: "display driver failed" repeatedly on new RX480
          catchabreak

first thing I found since win10 anniversary update the beta drivers are very buggy on my computer. 7.2 drivers worked ok. The AMD uninstaller leaves driver files in the registry, this also goes for the driver uninstalls too I have 7 different driver profiles  on my computer. Close and uninstall any programs that check/alter gpu functions. install hardwareinfo to check on any overheating problems. uninstall the gpu drivers and install 7.2 drivers not the minimal ones, once installed reset the driver within wattman . set the minimum fan speed to about a third of the fans total speed. see if any of this helps. Wattman hates third part software