4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2016 7:48 PM by trust-no1

I have an FX8120 8 core CPU and my machine keeps rebooting if I use more than cores 1 and 2. Is that a processor problem or could it be elsewhere in my system?

trust-no1

I have an FX8120 8 core CPU and my machine keeps rebooting if I use more than cores 1 and 2. Is that a processor problem or could it be elsewhere in my system?

My computer will boot even using all 8 cores but then will reboot randomly. So far I have replaced my mainboard (had several problems with the first 2 am3+ boards before returning to an upgraded model of the original board). I have also swapped RAM and on getting overheating warnings on current m/b I installed a water cooling system. The RAM I swapped into my machine came from my son's machine and it is still operating fine on my old RAM, as it was on the RAM I took from his.

I am not sure which way to go next, new cpu or new video card, or neither. I am looking for answers and/or suggestions.

• Re: I have an FX8120 8 core CPU and my machine keeps rebooting if I use more than cores 1 and 2. Is that a processor problem or could it be elsewhere in my system?
          techguy

It's extremely unlikely to be a processor defect.

This thread explains what info. is required for us to try and help you.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

FYI - The FX-8 core CPUs require a mobo specifically designed to provide the power required for these CPUs. Many socket AM3+ mobos can not properly power an FX 8-core CPU leading to reboots, BSOD, etc. You also need a good PSU with typically 50+ amps available on the 12V rail depending on what GPU card and other hardware that you are using. PSU wattage doesn't tell you specifically if there is enough amps available on the 12V rail but there is power data on the case of the PSU and in the PSU owner's manual. RAM can be tested for issues with Memtest86+ V5.0 or later. It's good to run it overnight to see if any issues develop.

• Re: I have an FX8120 8 core CPU and my machine keeps rebooting if I use more than cores 1 and 2. Is that a processor problem or could it be elsewhere in my system?
              trust-no1

Thankyou for your response, I have now replaced the CPU with an AMD FX8350, and replaced the video card with an ASUS GTX750Ti. This is all mounted on an ASUS M5A97 (rev.2) main-board. I am running 16Gb of RAM and Win10 (anniversary update installed) 64bit o/s. My power supply is a Corsair VS550.

I am now thinking it might be more a software problem and have been looking online for an answer, and have also tried several of the suggestions I have found to no avail. From the event viewer I get the following:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}

and APPID

{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

From what I am reading this seems to be a popular error, but having said that, the solutions I have found have not worked for me, and suggestions would be appreciated. I hope I have provided sufficient information now. Sorry about the lack before but this is the first time in my 17 years with computers that I have not been able to solve the problem and have had to ask for help, so this is a learning curve for me.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              catchabreak

I first thought of heat sink not sitting properly but when you mentioned the water cooling and the fact that it boots normally sounds more like the motherboard chips over heating or not supplying enough power. On AMD motherboards the cpu fan was expected to give some cooling to the memory and chips around the cpu. water cooling removes this affect resulting in chips and memory over heating, Some down draft fans in the top/side of the case should take care of that. when I first bought my fx 8350 I returned 2 motherboards that didn't want to work with my cpu, I  finally got an  asus crosshair formula z, had no problems since, great power management and over clocks well

1 of 1 people found this helpful