7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2016 12:55 PM by pandanl

RX480 Crashing at idle

zappysnap

I've had this problem with two RX480s and now two computers, one with a fresh Windows install, so I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the drivers, but I don't know if it's widespread:

I have had a reference RX480 since launch, and the card works great in games: no issues to speak of.  However, if I leave my computer on and idle for a while, the computer will BSOD and restart.  Checking the blue screen log, this results from a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error in atikmdag.sys. 

I had the issue with my original RX 480 on an i5 2500K and Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 motherboard.  After multiple driver reinstalls and cleanings with DDU, I exchanged the card for another one, believing the hardware to be faulty.  My second card exhibits the same behavior.  As part of the original troubleshooting, I replaced my power supply with a new one (just in case my old supply was potentially the culprit).  On Friday, I built a new machine and have a fresh Windows 10 install, so the card is now running on an i7 6700K with MSI Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard.  Again, I get the same BSOD error when the computer is left to idle for an extended period of time.

I am currently trying out using Guru3D's clock blocking utility, which prevents the GPU from downclocking to its lowest power state, and while I've only just reinstalled it on the new machine, I ran it for several days on the old machine, and it seemed to prevent the BSODs, leading me to believe there's a problem with the 0 state of the 480 drivers, which may be lowering the voltage of the card too much at very low power saving levels, but that's just speculation. 

Is AMD aware of the problem, and is this something that others are experiencing?  The ClockBlocker utility is a workaround that may work long term, but it draws extra power from the GPU that I may like to avoid if possible, and it doesn't solve the issue. 

• Re: RX480 Crashing at idle
          billy323

There are some issues with the RX drivers. What is happening for a lot of people is that the GPU core is running at 100% whilst idle, particualry after waking up from sleep. This could be leading to you bsod and reboot issues.

zappysnap

Thanks.  I have the 100% at idle bug from time to time as well (a restart usually fixes it), but I don't think they're related.  I don't sleep my machine (it's either on long term, or off).  The crashes happen when I leave the machine idle for long periods of time, after the monitors both go to sleep.  When I have the clockblocker app preventing the GPU from dropping to lower power states, the monitors wake up instantly when I move my mouse or hit a key, and I haven't (yet) experienced a crash when I've got this utility running.  Without the utility running, my monitors take a while to wake up (sometimes waking up, showing the desktop for a moment, then quickly going black for a second or so before coming on for good.) 

I have heard some other potential issues (black screens) with dual monitors, but I haven't had too many issues with that, though I may still try enabling the integrated GPU to run the right most monitor as well if it'll help until these drivers get sorted. 

pandanl

I have the same problem with my RX 480 Nitro+ 4GB, I thought it was the PSU to so replaced it, and still got this same BSOD.

I thought it had to do with the latest driver so I run DDU and installed 16.7.3, for a day it didn't crash. But now it happened again. When it crashes for the first time and I restart the next BSOD will follow up very soon. Trying GURU Clock blocker and it seems to work, but this will spin up my nitro+ fans every minute to cool it down and the fans will then go to back 0 rpm.

my specs

Asus P8H77-M Pro with latest bios

Sapphire Radeon RX480 Nitro+ 4GB

16 GB Kingston Hyper-X 1333

Corsair CX500

Came from a R9 380x Nitro and never had any issues, since I use the RX 480 I have nothing but trouble, also have screen flickering when turning to 144Hz (RX480 Crashing at idle )

derrickgott007

I experience the high load on desktop as well.  I spoke to AMDmatt who said it is a bug that they are actively working on.  If you use GPU-z you can see if your 480 goes 100% load on the desktop doing nothing.  I've found that putting your computer to sleep and waking it up will trigger the issue.  All that information has been turned over to AMDMatt so rest assured, they are working on it.

derrickgott007

Simple way to get around this for now is to just push the reset button on your pc.  Once it restarts the problem will be gone.  Download GPU-Z and run it as soon as your pc starts to see if it's maxing out.  If it is maxed out reset the pc.

Why GPU-Z and not open Wattman?  Because Wattman will hang when opening while the GPU is maxed out.  Gpu-z wont.  Also, DO NOT LET THE COMPUTER GO TO SLEEP. If it goes to sleep and you wake it up, you will see maxed out gpu.    Hang tight, they're working on new driver updates.  Remember, this is new tech on new software so sometimes things will happen.

zappysnap

My issue isn't really with the maxed out GPU.  (I experience that from time to time, but it's not my main issue).  My issue is that if I let the card idle and sleep the monitors, eventually it crashes the machine.  There seems to be an issue with the lowest power state on the cards.  I think a lot of people don't experience the issue because they hibernate or turn off their machines when they are done with them, but I leave mine on 24/7. (I have cloud backups for my photos that often need to run overnight).  Right now ClockBlocker to prevent the zero power state from happening appears to work, but I don't want to have to run my card at top edge voltage all the time if I don't have to. 

If Wattman allowed me to play with the zero state, I'd probably just add some voltage on that, but they don't allow changes to that state. 

pandanl

Last update (16.9.1) did not resolve the problem for me.

My issue isn't after the pc returns from sleep it just happens when the pc is running idle, like web browsing etc.

Workaround for me is to use clockblocker.