2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 6:52 PM by seeker2k

RX 480 Multiple problems

seeker2k

Hi all

I have quite a bit of issues with my RX 480. The card is XFX, bought at Newegg XFX Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 RX-480P8DBA6 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support GTR Black Edition Video C…   and I have quite a few issues with it. I think all of it is software, hardware seems to be good below are full system specs. Note that all bios and drivers are their latest versions, except the AMD Crimson driver which I have rolled back intentionally for better stability and performance.

CPU: Intel i5 3750K

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H

RAM: Corsair 16GB

GPU: XFX RX 480 8GB

HDs: 2x Samsung Evo SSDs with roughly 75% free space on them

So my problems are as follows:

1. Only half my VRAM is available in Windows.

Win 10 Anniversary update recognizes only half my VRAM for the most part, this is a new fresh install on new SSDs, when I switch to my old HD which is running Win 7 64 bit, it recognizes all 8 GB. Even CPU-z after hard boot says I have only 4095 MB of VRAM. The AMD Wattman recognizes 8 GB, some selected apps do as well, most do not. As anyone can guess this is causing a lot of issues, some stuff and games I have to run at reduced settings from Win 7, others have become unstable. I know that there is a similar issues related to direct X 9.xx games where it will limit vram use to 4GB, but this is NOT IT. This is System wide right from OS start without any of those other apps or games even touched. I would say that the other dx9 games issue, is a small part of this much larger issue impacting the whole system.

While I realize that this is on Microsoft end, I have a feeling that large part of it is how the drivers and the OS communicate, or perhaps in this case, don't when or as they should. Also, AMD and Microsoft are business partners in this as vast majority of these GPUs is used in and with Windows OS, so they should work on fixing this together from both ends to provide proper functionality and support.

At the time of this posting, after I spent several hours checking and reading various support forums and threads, including Microsoft, it became apparent that MS is in "denial mode" beyond the initial acknowledgement of the issue for dx9 based games without any fix whatsoever. If a few gamers bring all this up to Microsoft its one thing, if AMD brings it up to Microsoft, that's a whole different ball game.

2. Complete Instability with Crimson Drivers. With version 16.8.2 Hotfix my system was nearly completely unusable. The fans were running at max speed and literally screaming at times for few seconds even when I was just on desktop. According to Wattman the GPU was spiking in activity, but the temp never climbed above 53 degrees C, unless it was misreported by Wattman, and I could just forget about running any games, crash crash and more crashes. Other times, when my fans were at full speed and screaming, Wattman said they are not running, reported speed was 0%.... Bunch of other spikes and fan oddities leading to overall system instability.

3. AMD Wattman is unstable, laggy and often crashes then recovers. The Drivers recover very fast, but still crashes a lot.

Things I have done and tried to fix the issues:

1. Performed clean and complete uninstall of all drivers and AMD software, including registry and drive clean up for anything leftover.

2. Reinstalled the Crimson drivers multiple times, without Gaming Evolved (as that has been reported to cause more issues and I completely do not need it). Note that every time I performed the complete clean re-install and hard boots.

3. Naturally updated all drivers, windows updates, etc. to their respective latest versions.

4. Performed full trim, wiped free space, cleaned registry using CCleaner, etc.

5. Excluded AMD drivers and crimson from being scanned by my AV, so it will not interfere or slow it down.

6. Rolled back Crimson to 16.7.3 and saw some improvements, but still a lot of problems.

7. Rolled back Crimson to 16.7.2 and saw more improvements.

Got my system somewhat stable with occasional crash, some games run very good now (such as GW2), while others still crash and are experiencing various problems (Skyrim is the worst), games such as Witcher 3, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age Inquisition are still giving me problems with occasional crash but are playable.

This is what I have done to get to this point:

1. Kept rolling back drivers until 16.7.2, system became most stable.

2. Underclocked my GPU processor by 2% - played with this a lot, if I leave it at higher, or go lower, its back to being more unstable, this seems to give me best results.

3. Switched fans to manual, enabled acoustic and toned it down to around 1090. Turned down max and target temps to 70 and 80 degrees. Turned on manual max fan speed to 2800ish rpm. Turned on manual power settings and set it at +22%, this gives me best results, any higher or lower and I end up with more instabilities and glitches.

4. Hit "Apply" and hard booted to save the settings and reboot on them clean, if I do not do this, Wattman and AMD Crimson suite crashes if I touch anything else after hitting "Apply"

5. Enabled Vsync in some games via their respective settings, it helped a lot with frame rate stuttering and crashes.

Now, is there anything else I can do or try to make things better ? Or am I just completely left waiting on AMD and Microsoft ?

• Re: RX 480 Multiple problems
          amdmatt

Sorry that you've been having so many issues.

The issue relating to video memory is an issue with the OS. As long as the correct amount of video memory is showing in Radeon Settings > System, you are good to go.

You could try enabling Power Efficiency and Compatibility mode within Radeon Settings > Gaming > Global Settings.

We hope to have a new driver update available soon, i would recommend sticking with 16.7.2 until that driver is available. Then you can update and that should improve your experience.

• Re: RX 480 Multiple problems
              seeker2k

Just an update

I have experienced an overall improvement since latest update from MS. Went over the patch notes and I saw mostly powershell based stuff which should not affect how games work unless they use some of the same functionality and there are some undocumented changes.

The AMD drivers are still very problematic, crash often on adjustments, etc. but actual game stability has improved. GW2 runs perfect (the map flickering etc. is gone), Skyrim can actually launch now and play, but crashes often, rest of my games still in between the 2.