6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 6:57 PM by hardcoregames™

i3-2100 & video cards

hardcoregames™

I have this i3-2100 box and I was wondering how much video card can it handle before I start spinning my wheels

Best radeon card I have now is the HD 7870 but can some of the more powerful cards cope

The board only has a 4-pin ATX12V power connector but the PSU is robust

• Re: i3-2100 & video cards
          amdpete

If it were me I would upgrade the CPU & maybe the motherboard before buying a new GPU.

hardcoregames™

I know a lot criticise the i3 but its not that bad

the board is weaker, but a new board needs a new cpu

makes it more expensive

amdpete

Well to answer your original question somewhat, it would depend what resolution you are playing at, the lower the res the more CPU limited it would be.  Also different games can be more CPU bound than others.

So there is no exact science to it.  Some games adding more Ghz past a certain point has very little effect and some it helps hugely.  There are all the games which are limited to 60Fps regardless of your CPU or GPU or resolution.

The i3-2100 is generally at the minimum game specs or below that minimum so that is why I was recommending an update.  The 7850 is still a fairly decent card and still supported by the drivers so it doesn't really need updating yet (I am sure the higher ups would cry if they saw me saying that ).  You could see a fairly big increase in performance just from a new fast CPU and motherboard keeping the game GPU.