4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2016 11:05 PM by luperdye

Driver updates keep on killing GPU or laptop

luperdye

I have an HP 15-n058ed laptop with an AMD Radeon HD8670M GPU and an HD8400 dedicated one in my motherboard. My CPU is an AMD A6-5200 and I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM. It all started when i got the first notification to upgrade my driver which was recommended. The moment I did this my brightness was locked to the max and my laptop had become a whole lot slower, so I restored my laptop to a restore point before the update and everything was normal again. After a while I decided to go to the AMD driver site and downloaded the newest drivers which was recommended for my GPU (I did the auto-detect), beacause I thought that my GPU wasnt being detected and it was using the dedicated one for everything, but this time the update just completely broke my screen. I could see the HP logo when starting up my laptop, but when the login screen is supposed to come (so I guess when windows launches) the screen just turned completely black. At this point I decided to completely restore my laptop to factory settings and be released from this issue for once and for all. This was indeed the case until I made the upgrade back to Windows 10 again,  when apparantly newer drivers were automatically installed together with a newer version of the catalyst control center (software version Radeon: 15.11 and driver version: 15.30). At this point my laptop was incredibly slow and I couldnt even watch youtube video's or twitch streams without lagg and was playing league of legends with 12 fps and constant lagg on lowest possible settings while previously I was easily hitting constant 60 fps on medium/high settings. I also kept on getting a notification to upgrade my driver to 16.30 (recommended) and I did this thinking it would fix it but immediately after my PC shut down and wasn't being able to start up at all. So I started it up with safe mode and restored it to a restore point before installation (again). So now I'm back again to the point where I cant do anything because it's so slow.

I'm sorry for this information overload, but it's a very frustrating problem and it has consumed at least 30 hours of my time and I really want it fixed now. All I want is to get my old performance back, whether that is by installing my old drivers again (thought it was 13.251 but not sure) or by fixing my current one, I don't mind. But I don't know how to do both. The reason why I thought why my GPU wasn't being used is because in my device list it is shown as the HD8600M series instead of just HD8670M and in games which show what my GPU is it states my motherboard GPU instead of the other, more powerfull one (and this is still the case). But this could also just be me. Thanks for your time.

• Re: Driver updates keep on killing GPU or laptop
          amdmatt

Sorry you'be been having these problems, I'd like to help as i can imagine it must have been frustrating. Here's some troubleshooting steps i recommend which hopefully should improve your performance.

Run the Windows Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) and System File Check (SFC) tools as Administrator. The DISM and SFC tools scan the integrity of the Windows image and all protected system files replaces corrupted, damaged and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run the DISM command do the following:

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter:Note: While running DISM you will notice the process will pause at 20%. After a few minutes the operation will complete successfully. To run the SFC command, please refer to this Microsoft knowledge base article

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command SFC /SCANNOW and press enter:

For more information on using SFC on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, please refer to this Microsoft KB:

AMD driver software package requires the latest updates for Microsoft Net Framework and Windows to be installed. Please run Windows Update and install all available critical and recommended updates. In order to minimise the risk of installation errors, Windows should be fully updated before installing AMD driver software package.

Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

Install Crimson 16.2.1 drivers once the above is completed and restart your system and check to see if the issue is resolved.

• Re: Driver updates keep on killing GPU or laptop
              luperdye

I did all the steps and my laptop has become a whole lot faster overall, but now I have even worse performance in games like league of legends, so I guess something went wrong when installing the crimson 16.2.1 drivers. Also when installing those drivers it only listed stuff like: AMD gaming evolved app, sound drivers and AMD quick stream, no sign of display drivers, etc. And when right clicking on my desktop, it doesn't show the AMD catalyst control center (or anything like it at all). So maybe it just didnt install the display drivers at all. So should I repeat the last two steps or maybe try out different drivers? Thanks for the help so far anyway!