No matter what I do, I can't get FreeSync to work. I have no idea if this is a hardware or software problem. Searching the internet has not yielded any solutions. My setup is:
- R9 390 (Powercolor PCS+)
- Windows 10 64-bit
- Pixio PX277 (144Hz, FreeSync, IPS) hooked up with Displayport 1.2 cable
- I have a second monitor, but I have unhooked it from the video card to eliminate that variable.
What I have done:
- I have enabled FreeSync in the monitor's OSD and in the driver settings. I set the monitor's refresh rate to 144Hz in Windows. 144Hz works and is amazing.
- I tried uninstalling the monitor drivers in device manager. They automatically reinstall as generic PnP monitors.
- I have tried the following driver versions: 16.8.2, 16.7.3, 16.7.2, 16.5.3, 16.1, 15.11.1. I uninstall the previous driver and reboot before installing the next one. The same exact behavior is present in all driver versions.
- I tried factory resetting the monitor, unhooking the DP cable and reconnecting it, turning off monitor and computer and starting fresh.
- I have tried seemingly all combinations of v-sync, FRTC, in-game options, etc. and nothing gets FreeSync to work.
The only way I have been able to even partially get FreeSync to work is by doing the following:
- Enable virtual super resolution. This will reset the monitor's refresh rate to 60Hz.
- If I then run the AMD Windmill demo, 55fps, 50fps and 35fps all "work" as verified in the OSD, but I get noticable flickering. The monitor's OSD shows 55Hz, 50Hz, and 125Hz respectively for these modes. Both 40fps and 45fps cause horrible corruption (red/white blocks, scanning lines - it looks terrible).
- When I exit the demo after doing this, the Windows desktop now flickers really badly until I change the refresh rate back up to 144Hz.
- If the monitor's refresh rate is 144Hz and I load the Windmill demo, then FreeSync does not do anything at all, even though it allows me to toggle it and tells me that I have a FreeSync enabled display. The monitor's OSD just says 2560x1440@144Hz. The same thing happens in any game - FreeSync just does not work.
The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the monitor driver. In the Crimson display settings, it says the FreeSync range is 30-144Hz, but the monitor is actually only 55Hz. So below 55Hz it would have to use LFC. Maybe it is trying to force adaptive sync when it should be using LFC? Who knows.
Can somebody help me? I'm seriously going nuts here. Thanks!