stardruid

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB total

GPU: XFX radeon 5850 Black Edition

PS: Antec quattro 850w

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

AMD Catalyst software suite: 15.20.1062.1004-150803a1-187669C

Before hand, sorry for all the text, people always say to much info but want to give people idea of what I've done already, and current state of hardware (new fans etc)

So trying to pinpoint a issue where my xfx Radeon 5850 BE shuts down, both monitors (or one when I take my pc some where ) say no signal like the PC is shutdown, but the PC itself is still running. I can still hear audio of the video I was watching or for a little bit the video game I was playing thought that quits after a bit as the game crashes short after the video card quits working. Can still talk on Discord/Teamspeak etc. Shutdown seem to be random, sometimes days or weeks go by with no problem, with 1 shutdown, followed by days of no issues.

I've thought for a while the issue was simple a overheating issue as other times it's shutdown I was playing video games and didn't have MSI afterburner on like I normally do, and seen after my systems quick restart that the card was still about 80C-89C. Another time I had opened my case after it had happened and check my card, only to find the fan had been complete cover in dog hair (very old dog in my room that shredded 24/7 365 days a year that has since passed). Still not sure how the hair got in but it's not been a issue since.

But tonight shortly after I got to work (graveshift at supported living facility, 8 hour with nothing to do once clean is done) the card shutdown only a few minutes after turning the PC on as I was watching a mp4 video, and I know this time Afterburner was running. The room at work was a little hot but nothing to bad. Had it do it also early in the morning after i got off my last grave shift and got my Pc setup at home again. So at this point I'm not sure if it's a heat issue or not or if the card is finally going out.

My current heat management setup:

I don't like the card getting hot so have MSI Afterburner setup to ramp the GPU fan up as needed, all the way to 100% if the GPU get above 64-65C, and it normal never gets above 73c Max even play video games in a hot room. Normal just watch video or idle etc it never gets above 34C-40C (fan speed lowest is 40%), depend on room temperature at the time.

The Fan itself is newer then the card since the last one fail about a 1.5+ years ago and I replace with an new exact copy I bough online. Cleaned off the the thermal paste and replace it at the same time since had to remove the heat sink to get the fan out. Sadly had to as XFX said since they didn't have any more fans they have to give me a refurbished card and my lifetime warranty would be gone because of a fan. But they didn't mind me replace the fan on my own and told me it wouldn't void my warrant.

Message was edited by: William Moe, add more info/fixed spelling errors

• Re: Radeon 5850 BE card shutdown, PC still running
          amdmatt

What you have described could be caused by a software or hardware, for example a faulty graphics card. Initially i would recommend a system clean up and a fresh installation of the last compatible driver for your HD5850. The HD5xxx series has reached peak optimisation and been moved to legacy status, there will not be any further driver updates for your product. More information available here.

If this does not resolve the issue, then you might need to try a clean installation of Windows. I will list some troubleshooting steps which will hopefully prevent the need for this.

Run the Windows Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) and System File Check (SFC) tools as Administrator. The DISM and SFC tools scan the integrity of the Windows image and all protected system files replaces corrupted, damaged and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run the DISM command do the following:

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter:Note: While running DISM you will notice the process will pause at 20%. After a few minutes the operation will complete successfully. To run the SFC command, please refer to this Microsoft knowledge base article

• Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

Type the following command SFC /SCANNOW and press enter:

For more information on using SFC on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, please refer to this Microsoft KB:

AMD driver software package requires the latest updates for Microsoft Net Framework and Windows to be installed. Please run Windows Update and install all available critical and recommended updates. In order to minimise the risk of installation errors, Windows should be fully updated before installing AMD driver software package.

Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

Install the latest Crimson 16.2.1 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

• Re: Radeon 5850 BE card shutdown, PC still running
              stardruid

Well at this point I'm sure it's the card, updating the drivers did nothing and this morning any time I put the card under any pressure such as trying to watch a video file it would quit on me. It's definelty not a heat issue. I've put my old 4850 in for now and going to contact xfx since the card is under a lifetime warranty. Need a new card all together but that have to wait till finances are better. Thanks for trying to help amdmatt