Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 by stardruid

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB total

GPU: XFX radeon 5850 Black Edition

PS: Antec quattro 850w

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

AMD Catalyst software suite: 15.20.1062.1004-150803a1-187669C

Before hand, sorry for all the text, people always say to much info but want to give people idea of what I've done already, and current state of hardware (new fans etc)

So trying to pinpoint a issue where my xfx Radeon 5850 BE shuts down, both monitors (or one when I take my pc some where ) say no signal like the PC is shutdown, but the PC itself is still running. I can still hear audio of the video I was watching or for a little bit the video game I was playing thought that quits after a bit as the game crashes short after the video card quits working. Can still talk on Discord/Teamspeak etc. Shutdown seem to be random, sometimes days or weeks go by with no problem, with 1 shutdown, followed by days of no issues.

I've thought for a while the issue was simple a overheating issue as other times it's shutdown I was playing video games and didn't have MSI afterburner on like I normally do, and seen after my systems quick restart that the card was still about 80C-89C. Another time I had opened my case after it had happened and check my card, only to find the fan had been complete cover in dog hair (very old dog in my room that shredded 24/7 365 days a year that has since passed). Still not sure how the hair got in but it's not been a issue since.

But tonight shortly after I got to work (graveshift at supported living facility, 8 hour with nothing to do once clean is done) the card shutdown only a few minutes after turning the PC on as I was watching a mp4 video, and I know this time Afterburner was running. The room at work was a little hot but nothing to bad. Had it do it also early in the morning after i got off my last grave shift and got my Pc setup at home again. So at this point I'm not sure if it's a heat issue or not or if the card is finally going out.

My current heat management setup:

I don't like the card getting hot so have MSI Afterburner setup to ramp the GPU fan up as needed, all the way to 100% if the GPU get above 64-65C, and it normal never gets above 73c Max even play video games in a hot room. Normal just watch video or idle etc it never gets above 34C-40C (fan speed lowest is 40%), depend on room temperature at the time.

The Fan itself is newer then the card since the last one fail about a 1.5+ years ago and I replace with an new exact copy I bough online. Cleaned off the the thermal paste and replace it at the same time since had to remove the heat sink to get the fan out. Sadly had to as XFX said since they didn't have any more fans they have to give me a refurbished card and my lifetime warranty would be gone because of a fan. But they didn't mind me replace the fan on my own and told me it wouldn't void my warrant.

Message was edited by: William Moe, add more info/fixed spelling errors

Outcomes