1 2 3 First Previous 172 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 12:23 AM by bioshoxx

Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)

cpt.flowers

Hi,

I have an issue that seems to be driver related but not everybody has it on their reference model rx 480.

One out of three times when I boot the gpu load sits at 100% even when idle, keeping the temp to 80° and consumption to 80W instead of the usual 10-20.

It systematically does it when I return from windows sleep.

Switching drivers to old/new back and forth doesn't change, even with the amd cleanup utility.

As I'm writing this I just booted the pc and it's doing it again without even having to resume from sleep ( after resuming it always does it)

A guy posted this issue in the graphics category but his solution to it was sleep/resume which doesn't work for me.

Windows clean install doesn't help either as I tried it on another HDD, this completely rules out bitcoin virus.

I want to know if this is a know driver issue from Amd or if I have a faulty card and should RMA it.

Note: I tired posting a ticket on sapphire website but their website is glitched and won't allow me to contact support.

Thank for helping eventually.

• 1. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
          sunlover

Hi,

I noticed a similar problem with Sapphire Nitro RX470 8GB. So it does not seems to be a problem of a particular card model.

On my Windows 7 system the GPU load always goes to 100% after resuming from sleep.

So far I have never seen the 100% load after powering on or after resuming from hibernate.

Tried 16.7.3, 16.8.1 and 16.8.2 drivers.

I've reported this via the  "Report a Driver Bug" form.

I had a R9 285 in this system earlier and the problem never happened.

• 2. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
            joej

Similar issue here with 16.8.2, FuryX, Windows10 and i7 930.

I'm developing Vulkan App and noticed strange performance decrease from steady 1.66ms to fluctuating 2.4ms.

OpenCL gets slower too, by a larger factor of about 4 times.

Looking at GPU-Z, i see the GPU keeps fully utilized after i close any program - 1050 MHz, Memory Usage (dedicated) 1906 MB.

I get the problem some minutes after boot without any obvious reason, tried various things - terminating processes, disabling HT, nothing helps.

Initially after reboot everything works properly, and my app shows correct memory usage of only 400 MB.

I've never had such issues with 16.8.1 driver, so i used it's installer first to remove and then to install, but the problem presists.

Bitcoin virus? I'll look that up...

EDIT:

For me it was a bitcoin virus - thanks for the tip

• 3. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
              amdpete

I know there is currently an issue with SteamVR causing the GPU to sit at 100% Load even when the app is exited, that is currently being fixed.

I am not sure about sleep / resume causing the same thing.  What sleep state support is in your motherboard BIOS?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                cpt.flowers

Well it's definitely supported, I had an hd 7850 before upgrading to an rx 480 and never had any issues with it whatsoever.

• 5. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                  cpt.flowers

Yeah it never happened with my hd 7850 mounted in the same pc, and I've reported too.

• 6. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                    sunlover

I do not run Steam(VR) or other programs which can use the GPU in background on the system (only Windows Aero, btw disabling Aero does not help). It is a pretty clean Windows 7 64 bit installation.

This system uses Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard with FX 8320 CPU. Single GPU.

amdpete, since you mentioned sleep states, I tried to disable them in the BIOS: Cool'n'Quiet, C1E, Core C6 State. Nothing had any effect. The 100% GPU load has been reproducible after power on/sleep/resume sequence.

However once I've got the expected idle freq 300MHz and 0 GPU load. But after another sleep/restore the GPU load was again at 100%.

I wonder if there is any way to diagnose what causes the GPU load. Could CodeXL help?

I guess that this problem is caused by some specific hardware configuration. Maybe chipset which is rather old compared to the GPU.

• 7. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                      cpt.flowers

Me too I just had once the expected Idle clocks after sleep just an hour ago but couldn't do it again.

When I look at what may be the cause to the gpu usage through the program process hacker 2 I doesn't show any process requesting gpu ressources.

I assume it's driver related, because it's random on boot and 100% triggered by resume from sleep so it has to be driver/windows related.

If it's true it would quite disapointing to see Amd shipping unfinished products even with "whql" drivers.

On the other hand not everybody with a reference card seems to have this issue idk if it's maybe Vbios?

• 8. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                        mk_1

i ve the same problem . After my PC woke up the RX 480 remain in Power state 7 ( look at Wattman ) = max Clock speed , max Voltage . Work around : I lowered with wattman the specs to from Power state 7 to the from Power State 1 = 300 Mhz and 810 mv (undervoltaged ) . Now my card stay cool with 55 C and 0 Rpm Fan .

If you wanna play use wattman to reverse the changes .

Memory is OK , it goes back to 300 Mhz , there are no changes needed .

The problem doesn t exist when i restart with Power down / up , only if i use the Sleep mode - but i normally use the sleep mode because i ve no SSD with Win 10 on it

It s an Driver issue , i think . The problem could be that 100 % Activity is shown in Wattman and there is no way to to reset this exept a new start of the PC .

An reset Button would be nice to reset the RX 480 in Power state 1 .

• 9. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                          sunlover

BTW, here is what Windows reports about available sleep states:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -A

The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby ( S3 ) Hibernate Hybrid Sleep

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

• 10. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                            cpt.flowers

Thanks for your input but it isn't enough, although I was able to downclock/undervolt through wattman, Gpu usgae stays at 100% and the card pump 4 times as much power as it normally should (40 watts instead of the usual 10 on idle).

• 11. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                              mk_1

yes you re right , but i wrote  " The problem could be that 100 % Activity is shown in Wattman and there is no way to to reset this exept a new start of the PC "

the problem  i s  the GPU usage at 100 % . The workaround above in my posting helps to stay the card cool and silent , without that is would stay at full Clock speed / voltage and temp s from 75 - 80 C and 100 or 120 watt usage ?

i dont think it s an Hardware fault  , or problems with the S3 sleep state - the card must simply reset to zero activity and the dynamic Frequency control must work after the PC woke up .

Powerstate 1 is normal  610 mhz - 818 mv so that 300 Mhz should be able under 800 mv , but Wattman doesn t allow setting s less than 800 mv .

I think it s not a big Problem , and i am not alone , so i hope they  ( AMD ) will fix it soon ...

• 12. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                                billy323

I am having the same issue with RX 470 Sapphire Nitro but its only after gaming it stays at 100% after I have quit game. But in idle I get random spikes of anything from 40 to 100% just for a split second. I am going to try switching to the quiet mode Bios see if that helps. I know it will down clock me a bit but it may be buggy bios

• 13. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                                  conqueror

Once everytime you turn on you pc it will gets you 100% usage after a random time. I have this issue but i figured out what's wrong, it's a driver related issue probabely, i thought it's fine with 16.7.2 but it's not.

When you start you windows don't do anything except search stuff in the internet, watch videos or anything until you hear the fan is working= 100%usage. Go to task manager and end process named Reltek HD Audio. This will do it.

• 14. Re: Rx 480 100% gpu load when idle (no bitcoin virus)
                                    sunlover

This seems to be a different issue. Here we are talking about the high GPU load after power on or sleep.

I've reproduced the 100% GPU load by sleep/restore and then killed Realtek HD Audio process (and a few other, including RadeonSettings). This did not affect the GPU load.

1 2 3 First Previous