4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 4:19 PM by grommage

Is sparse grid supersampling going to be introduced into ATI drivers?

grommage

Hi

I used  it via Nvidia inspector on my old nv GTX570 ,to reduce terrain shimmering in il2 Battle over Stalingrad.

Sadly on my new rx480 I cannot use it,as far as Ive looked no amd utility enables it either.

I tried all other methods on my old nvidia card (smaa etc ) ,and on the new one ,but nothing is better than 4x sparse grid supersampling in this game.

So are we going to see it on AMD?

• Re: Is sparse grid supersampling going to be introduced into ATI drivers?
          amdpete

I wouldn't have thought so, it was pretty much accidentally added to the Nvidia drivers via a driver bug but they descided to make that a feature.

DX9 where forcing MSAA or SSAA (etc) is mainly possible will be less and less revevant over time as developers continue to use DX11 & DX12 (with the odd Vulkan title here and there maybe)

grommage

Thanks for the reply.

Yes at the moment il2 BoS is directx9 ,I heard rumours it may have an engine update to dx11,so hopefully that may help.

Its a pity because the effect on an nvidia card in the game in its present format is really impressive.

I am just flying the winter maps now as they dont show the shimmer that is so obvious in the summer maps,grass and all!

amdpete

Have you tried using VSR since that would be the equivalent of running the game at 4K and then downscaling to 1080P (for example)

grommage

Yes I am using VSR as I use a 1360x768 60hz tv as a monitor (worked well the last 6 years or so!) I have it at 1680x1050 and it helps a good deal.

With my old card (gtx570) I used the standard res with sparse grid and lod settings from Nvidia inspector and it looked fantastic,without it looked a blurry mess to my eyes!

New rx480 standard res,the same old blurry mess(possibly worse), I tried the VSR thing at various resolutions ,and it did make a great improvement.

However the shimmer is still noticible ( and annoying),the only solution is to use winter maps where I dont see it so much.

To be honest the game played alot smoother with my old card  (less hitching and stutter),that said in all the other games I play the rx480 is great,probably double the fps and they all look good.

Its just a bugger that when I fancy a fly around the Eastern Front,I just cant get the look or the smoothness of the old gtx570.

I have messed with ALL the control centre settings but not had any real gain.I even tried a now unsupported Radeon Pro utility to try a few tweaks,which did despite the age of the tool  have effects,but again no real benefit.

I am glad of your advice,as I only had the card a week and stumbled on the VSR thing myself rather by accident,so I could easily have overlooked it......it certainly makes a big difference as the shimmering effect is made less apparent by the higher res,but as I said it does not stop it totally,which still bugs me!

Cheers anyhow,I just hope a game update to dx11 makes this good ati card shine in this specific game.