6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2016 6:20 AM by jurbeli

Could you offer a bios fix to a black screening RX480 8Gb (avoid RMA)?

jurbeli

Hi

I have been troubleshooting this card and I'm 99% certain it blackscreens because it is not stable in idle state. (Idle/2D/State 0 GPU core seems to be fixed at 300mhz/0.800V in every manufacturer's bios even though other states depend on Asic quality etc.). Otherwise it is completely working card and never has blackscreened with a slight stress raising clocks and voltage from idle state. I have no intent to RMA it and not be able to use computer for that time. I'm asking if you could provide a new bios with slightly raised voltage in that state (0,82V would suffice I think). With correct signatures etc so it would work with drivers. I know that there are some other people with exactly the same issue and just slightly modified bios would prevent RMAs and save you money of course. It could still be unofficial and totally on customer's responsibility etc. I know this is pretty unusual question but I hope you look into it. I can provide more details if needed.

• Re: Could you offer a bios fix to a black screening RX480 8Gb (avoid RMA)?
          amdpete

AMD do not normally provide BIOS updates (I can only think of one instance in the past where that has occurred to provide UEFI BIOSs for fury cards)  If that is the determined cause then it would be fixed via a driver update instead most likely.

Card manufacturers can provide updates if they want to since they make the GPUs they are the ones which should be determining voltages based on build quality.

jurbeli

Thanks for the answer. Another solution would be to enable state 0 control in Wattman. Right now user can control every other states (1-7), but state 0 (idle) is greyed and not controllable. Is there some specific reason for it? If it is just that overadjusting State 0 could make the card crash instantly (in contrast to 3D stress), or increase power consumption/temp/fan noise, there could be a switch with a warning that adjusting it is not recommended. Please look into it.

amdpete

State 0 has different clocks depending on if 1 or more monitors are connected (or high refreshrate monitors) so it gets tricky for the user to be allowed to adjust things for it.  The main issue would be that if the voltage was set too low either on purpose or accident then it makes it difficult to be able to use the desktop potentially.  Other states aren't used on the idle desktop so altering those isn't such a problem.

There would be nothing to stop 3rd party apps altering it as far as I am aware but I don't get involved with all the low level driver shenanigans to know much about that side of things.

jurbeli

Guess I wait for 3rd party apps then or 3rd party bioses. Your answer actually pointed another workaround. I noticed that when I connect a second monitor the core clock remains the same but voltage goes from 0.800V to 1.000V. No black screens yet but still testing. Wonder if there is some way to fool drivers into multigpu mode even though only 1 screen is connected.

amdpete

The BIOS is signature protected so I wouldn't expect user modified BIOSs.  The drivers expect a certain signature to be present for them to work.  Changing the driver DLL would then also break Microsoft attesting or WHQL certification meaning secure boot wouldn't work and test signing would need to be enabled every boot.

Graphics card manufacturers can of course get their BIOS files with the correct signature so those are the companies that would need to make the alterations should they be required.