1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 11:14 AM by kingfish

display driver has recovered trouble

archz2

I'm running Windows 8.1 (64 bit) on my Lenovo G500 laptop. It has AMD Radeon HD 8570 (2GB) graphics card, Intel integrated HD graphics, i5 processor, 500 GB SATA Hard disk  and 8GB DDR3 RAM.

From the last two updates, I have been getting the common error "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". Whenever that error occurred, my windows were up to date and the driver version was just one version behind the current version. For example if the current version was 15.8.6, then my version was 15.8.5.

I used to update the driver then the issue used to resolve. But after some weeks that occurred again and then all my Intel and AMD drivers were up to date, including my windows.

Now I have faced this error again. I have crimson 16.7.3. I tried launching SketchUp software and it crashed upon startup, after the message "graphics driver has crashed," appeared. Similar thing happens when I try launching Adobe premiere pro cs6 and it crashes when the same message pops up.

This error has been getting on my nerves. It keeps coming back again.

I have tried registry fix long time back but still this error keeps coming up.

I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. In the box to the right, I saw  TdrDelay with a data value of (2). I double clicked and changed the value from (2) to (8).

sfc scannow command doesn't help either. No errors are found.

Running a "driver verifier" appears risky for me as it will give me BSOD's.

Is there a permanent solution to my problem?

• Re: display driver has recovered trouble
          kingfish

Laptops will use the integrated (Intel) graphics for all OGL applications by default. Have you set the application to use the AMD/high performance graphics in the control panel? > How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics  < Also, set your laptop power plan to "Performance"...not the default "balanced".

Do you have the option in the bios to change the display/graphics to "fixed"/"off" instead of the default "dynamic"/"switchable" ? This will force the laptop to use the discrete card (AMD) all the time. Keep in mind this will shorten the battery life and is to be used plugged in. Not all laptops have this function...some models will have a bios update that will allow it, so check with the manufacturer's support site. If all else fails, install the 15.11.1 drivers > AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta Driver Download .