0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 7:05 PM by black_zion

WARNING: Windows 7 & 8.1 shifting to cumulative update patches in October

black_zion

Windows 7, 8.1 moving to Windows 10’s cumulative update model | Ars Technica

October 2016's Patch Tuesday will see the release of the first Monthly Rollup for Windows 7 and 8.1. This will be a single package delivering all of the security and reliability improvements released that month. Patch Tuesday will be delivered through Windows Update (WU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), and System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). Subsequent months will have new Monthly Rollups, and these will be cumulative, incorporating the content of all previous Monthly Rollups.

Initially, these Monthly Rollups will only contain new patches released from October 2016 onward. Over the next year, Microsoft says that it will extend them to go back in time, slowly integrated all the patches released since the last "baseline." Although not specified, this presumably means Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows 8.1 RTM.

There IS a solution to this:

Microsoft will also create security-only updates that include all the security fixes released each month, without any reliability or feature changes. These updates won't be cumulative. They will only be offered via WSUS and SCCM; WU users won't see them.

Because of a software program called WSUS Offline Update, this will not be an issue. I've used it for several years to keep offline copies of updates for when I repair family or friend's computers, or for when I do an OS reinstall. Once you know the Microsoft patches won't bork anything you can use Windows Update.

WSUS Offline Update - Update Microsoft Windows and Office without an Internet connection