1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 8:36 AM by deadmonarch

Why does my XFX R9 290X cause 2-3 second black screens, corruption, and flickering on DP 1.2 with my 2014 ASUS 4K UHD Monitor?

deadmonarch

I recently upgraded from a ASUS GTX 660 Ti to install a brand new XFX R9 290X 8GB Double Dissipation, and also upgraded from a PoS 1920 x 1080p monitor to an ASUS PB287Q UHD 28" 4K monitor. I connected the R9 290X to my ASUS PB287Q 28" 4K monitor with DisplayPort 1.2 cable. My ASUS monitor immediately started to flicker, have frequent black screens lasting 2-3 seconds in 2D or 3D applications (games, desktop, browsers), and grey horizontal lines flash and corruption on the display constantly. These short black screens would occur sometimes back to back.

Troubleshooting steps I performed:

- Spent hours searching the internet forums for people with the same problems. I found some people did have the same issues with ASUS PB287Q UHD 28" 4K display when coupled with a R9 290/290X... In many forums people had posted about these same issues I am having, many posters replied "download the latest AMD drivers / swap out DP 1.2 cable with brand new high quality DisplayPort 1.2 cable / make sure ASUS PB287Q display is set to DP 1.2 (default is DP 1.1) / try swapping out 6' length DisplayPort 1.2 cable for a shorter 3.3' (1 Meter Length) DisplayPort 1.2 cable due to AMD R9 290/X GPUs having weak signal strength on the card's DisplayPort output / and they stated that ASUS/ AOC/ Samsung 4K UHD displays were probably incompatible with R9 2XX series AMD drivers.

- Used latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) software to enter Safe Mode and remove the Radeon Crimson Edition 16.7.3  drivers, and  updated to latest Radeon Crimson Edition 16.8.2 Hotfix drivers.

- Swapped out the 6' length DisplayPort (DP) 1.2 cable that shipped with the ASUS PB287Q display, with a brand new 6' length DP 1.2 cable ordered from Amazon (random signal loss resulting in 2-3 second black screens / grey lines flickering / video corruption issues remained)

- Swapped out the brand new 6' length DP 1.2 cable with a brand new Accell B142C-003B UltraAV DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Cable with Latches - 3.3 Feet (1 Meter)

(After connecting the Accel B142C-003B UltraAV DisplayPort 1.2 Cable , I still had flickering, random black screens lasting 2-3 seconds at a time, and display corruption.)

- Connected monitor to GPU with HDMI cable, and found no issues with flickering, black screen, or corruption using HDMI cable. HDMI supported resolutions of 1920 x 1080p (60Hz) / 2560 x 1440p (30Hz)  / 3840 x 2160p (30Hz)  (Zero issues with flickering, 2-3 second random black screen, or corruption present when connected with HDMI cable...)

NOTE: Issues now isolated to using DisplayPort (DP) cable with 2014 ASUS 4K UHD monitor in DP 1.2 streaming mode.

- UPDATE: 11/2016 - my friend contact XFX support, they issued an RMA to him for my R9 290X DD.  -XFX support notified my friend via email, that support technician could not replicate the problems I was having, so they had run diagnostics and updated the firmware for my R9 290X and had shipped the GPU back to him.

- UPDATE: 12/2016 - Used latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) software to perform Safe Mode clean unistall of AMD Radeon drivers, then download and installed latest AMD Radeon drivers available.

- UPDATE: 12/2016 -Uninstalled Radeon Crimson Edition 16.8.2 Hotfix drivers and the R9 290X, and Installed my ASUS GTX 660 Ti GPU and the latest Nvidia drivers and connected my GPU to my ASUS 4K display with the Accell DisplayPort 1.2 cable. This is the same cable I have been using with the XFX R9 290X, so that proves to me this is not a DP cable issue, in fact...I swapped out the high quality 3.3' long Accell DP cable for the 6' cable that previously didn't correct the problems fore the R9 290X... and both cables are working perfectly with my old NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti (further demonstrating the problem is with the R9 290X...)

- UPDATE: 12/2016 -searched for NVIDIA forums and discovered that in 2014, many people owning NVIDIA 600 - 900 series GPUs were reporting the exact same problems with ASUS, SAMSUNG and AOC 4K displays that I am Having with the R9 290X, only difference is that NVIDIA took the time to fix these problems through driver updates...AMD only bothered to update a fix for AOC 4K UHD monitors.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I'm very disappointed that AMD has never bothered to fix R9 200 series DisplayPort 1.2  issues with 2014 ASUS 4K UHD monitors in driver updates... that is pretty lame since NVIDIA cared enough about their customers to fix theses issues through driver updates back in 2014.

Message was edited by: Jason Galvez for including current updates and findings.