4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 1:25 PM by urosh92

In-application driver update doesn't work.

gilaphreak

Hey guys,

Since the new "Radeon Settings" software was released, I haven't been able to use its update feature.

I can click the updates tab, then find that there is an update ready for me. I click the update, and hit "Update Now", which prompts to close the software and launch the installer. The installer then launches, and has an "Upgrade" button on screen. Upon clicking the button, the installer closes and that's the last thing that ever happens.

This has persisted for a while now, and I had originally thought it was just some issue with the current installation or another program on my PC interfering with it. (As bugs and program remnants hap to cause issues as OS installs get older and older.) However, I'm currently running on a fresh wipe of my system, and it still doesn't update like I assume it should.

Minor inconvenience, of course. I can, and have always been able to navigate to the site, find my driver package, and install it that way; but it would suuuuuure be nice to have that in-app automatic install!

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Andy

• Re: In-application driver update doesn't work.
          gilaphreak

I had an idea just now, to check the event viewer to see if that detailed any type of crash or log - and it looks like it certainly did. Below is a text copy of the report generated. It seems to me like it's an issue with my having a 64-bit OS, but the program trying to load a 32-bit verson of it - which is odd because I'm running a 64bit version of the software...

Log Name:  Application
          Source:    Wow64 Emulation Layer
          Date:      8/14/2016 1:27:28 AM
          Event ID:  1109

Task Category: None

Level:     Information
          Keywords:  Classic
          User:      N/A
          Computer:  Andy-PC

Description:

The program or feature "\??\C:\AMD\Packages\Apps\non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.8.2-rc4-aug11.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Wow64 Emulation Layer" />
          <EventID Qualifiers="16384">1109</EventID>
          <Level>4</Level>
          <Task>0</Task>
          <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
          <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-14T06:27:28.000000000Z" />
          <EventRecordID>5728</EventRecordID>
          <Channel>Application</Channel>
          <Computer>Andy-PC</Computer>
          <Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>\??\C:\AMD\Packages\Apps\non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.8.2-rc4-aug11.exe</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• Re: In-application driver update doesn't work.
            urosh92

Same issue.
            The program or feature "\??\C:\AMD\Packages\Apps\non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.8.2-rc4-aug11.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

And for the moment I was so happy I can finally UPDATE my drivers instead of fully reinstalling them
            Any solution? Google didn't help